Regal Tip Session/Keith Carlock Stick

vyacheslav

Greetings,

For those of you who do not know, Keith Carlock used to be with Regal Tip. He then of course moved to Vic Firth (probably got more $) but his signature stick remained the same as it was with Regal Tip. As far as I know, it's the only Vic stick with a high gloss lacquer, just like most of the Regal Tip stuff.

Anyway, when he was still with Regal Tip, he had been playing their "Session" model. He liked it so much that it became his signature stick, and they simply re-named the Session model to the Keith Carlock model. After Keith went to Vic, Regal Tip re-introduced the Session model. The stick is the Carlock signature. Exactly. Like I said before, it was a normal model in their catalog before they renamed it for Keith.

So, if you like Keith's stick, try the Regal Tip Session stick. I happened to prefer Regal Tip and would rather give them the business.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Greetings,

For those of you who do not know, Keith Carlock used to be with Regal Tip. He then of course moved to Vic Firth (probably got more $) but his signature stick remained the same as it was with Regal Tip. As far as I know, it's the only Vic stick with a high gloss lacquer, just like most of the Regal Tip stuff.

Anyway, when he was still with Regal Tip, he had been playing their "Session" model. He liked it so much that it became his signature stick, and they simply re-named the Session model to the Keith Carlock model. After Keith went to Vic, Regal Tip re-introduced the Session model. The stick is the Carlock signature. Exactly. Like I said before, it was a normal model in their catalog before they renamed it for Keith.

So, if you like Keith's stick, try the Regal Tip Session stick. I happened to prefer Regal Tip and would rather give them the business.
You're ALMOST correct...

For many years Keith used Regal Tip's 8A model. When the decision was made to give him his own Performer Series model, they came up with the design for what is now called the "session." This was introduced as the Keith Carlock Performer Series stick, and was based on another model that was no longer available, but is similar to the 8A.

When Keith moved to Vic Firth they simply copied the design of his Regal Tip model, right down to the thicker lacquer finish. Regal Tip simply removed Keith's name from the model and rebranded it "Session."

Artist's do not typically get paid for endorsing a product, other than a small royalty for sales on items they have their name attached to. So I double the move to Vic had anything to do with money.

Keith obviously loved his model with Regal Tip, and the thicker finish on it, so part of the deal with him moving to Vic was obviously that that make him the exact same stick, finish and all. In the 90's Zildjian did this with Dennis Chambers too. Although it wasn't until a few years ago that his Zildjian stick was sold publicly with the thicker lacquer finish. Prior to that they only added the finish for Dennis' personal stock and his signature stick sold in stores, did not have the finished on them.

It's common for companies to do this. A big name artist really loves his product, but for whatever personal reason changes companies and still wants what he/she had before. Vater's Stuart Copeland stick is an identical copy of Regal Tip's ROCK model, minus the thicker finish. Because prior to using Vater, that was the stick Stuart was using. If I'm not mistaken Ray Luzier and Benny Greb's Vic Firth Signature Sticks are identical copies of what they were using with Pro Mark.

trickg

Silver Member
The tip seems to be ever so slightly different too.

I might have to give those sticks a look, especially if I can get them in maple. I've been using Vic Firth SD4 Combos in maple for a few years now - mainly because I do a lot of praise band playing and they help me keep the volume under control (and I like the sound of maple on cymbals) - but I'm not married to a particular brand or model.

Thanks for this thread!

Ang

The tip seems to be ever so slightly different too.

I might have to give those sticks a look, especially if I can get them in maple. I've been using Vic Firth SD4 Combos in maple for a few years now - mainly because I do a lot of praise band playing and they help me keep the volume under control (and I like the sound of maple on cymbals) - but I'm not married to a particular brand or model.

Thanks for this thread!
You should check out the Vater Cymbal sticks or their Sugar Maple Super Jazz models, they have a lot of variety in maple sticks now.

HolisticDrums

Can anyone tell what the difference between the5a and session model is ?
I was playing the Vic Carlock model for quite a few months, but stopped as I think I felt it was a bit too light for heavy backbeat styles ... Maybe it was the very small tip. Either way, I'm looking to try again !

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Can anyone tell what the difference between the5a and session model is ?
I was playing the Vic Carlock model for quite a few months, but stopped as I think I felt it was a bit too light for heavy backbeat styles ... Maybe it was the very small tip. Either way, I'm looking to try again !
The sessions are thinner than Regal Tip's 5As and have a different tip. They are more like an 8A with a slightly different tip with a longer taper and slightly thinner neck.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
The sessions are thinner than Regal Tip's 5As and have a different tip. They are more like an 8A with a slightly different tip with a longer taper and slightly thinner neck.
Thanks Bert ! I have to do a lot of research as they're almost impossible to get in Spain