Regal Tip out of business?

I'm gonna guess you haven't seen "Horrible Bosses" as that is Colin Farrell's character Bobby Pellitt. He took over his father's company after his death and used it "as my personal ATM".
A little context and it sounds like it might have been spot on, lol
No. Guilty as charged. LOL.

Yeah, actually the response was from one of the family members (second generation). What I've found over the years, with family businesses, is, by the time it gets down to the grandchildren, things can really go sideways.
We had a VERY successful mexican food restaurant here in town that once the dad retired & passed it onto his kids, they started cutting corners in quality & quantity. It took about 8 months for people to notice enough for the place to close. :(
Regal Tip is done in my town , none of the brick and mortar shops here want anything to do with them anymore . Very sad state of affairs to be honest .
Same here.
My local Sam Ass had 1 pair of brand new 5b's that are now so rare, that I didn't use them on my kit at all. They're on permanent pad duty (as I use Ahead for my kit work).
They were my first brand of sticks that I bought with my own money as a 9 year old in 1979. I'll keep these forever as a memento of better days gone by.

This whole Regal Tip situation is sad.
I've come to find some non RT sticks that feel good. I even shellac some and it gets the feel close.
When I do grab a real Regal Tip, though, there's just nothing quite like it.

It’s absolutely unreal to me that we’re here just over two years later and still don’t know the answer.
I think they as a company just let people figure it out on their own. Sort of pulled a "Homer Simpson vanishing into the bushes" move & when the sticks are gone, they're gone.
Not telling their fans & endorsees is beyond a dick move IMO.

What a total shame! I was sending emails back and forth with Carol. It says on their Website to contact them. I started in August and received a response only after sending 2 more emails asking "What's going on?" I got a reply from Carol stating that she will look in to the inventory of a particular model once she was back in the office 2 days later. That was the 3rd of Sept. On the 15th and 22nd I sent follow up emails. On Monday, Sept. 27th she replied back saying they were doing year end inventory and she should have an answer for me by Wednesday, the 29th. I'd sent 4 more emails starting Oct. 6th ending Nov. 10th. I've given up. As you said Cmdr. Ross, it's a total dick move! Just be up front!

It's sad. They were my brand. I still have some, but I find myself looking for alternatives I can really be happy with instead. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like at some point they're gone. Better to find that replacement now.

for any europeans/brits, i would suggest giving balbex drumsticks a try if you're looking for new sticks. for US/CA folk, theres numerous brands to try for (los cabos, scorpion percussion and D.O.P.E. sticks spring to mind)
What is it about these that make them good Regal Tip replacements?

What is it about these that make them good Regal Tip replacements?
totally down to the individual if they think theyre a suitable RT replacement, i was merely quoting some companies that people could try if RT have indeed ceased production, jsut giving some options to folk :)

If you are looking for the FEEL of RT and just can't get them, use this.
2 coats and you're golden.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 2.58.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 2.58.55 PM.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 5
I was told the other day that RT hasn't even making the Nylon Tips anymore.
My drum shop guy said they told him that their tip machine broke, and they needed parts for it, but didn't know when it was going to be fixed.
I have NO idea if they just told him that when he was asking about his orders, but that's what he said. I have no reason to doubt him because we were just talking and I wasn't looking to order sticks.

He's also had some cymbals on order from Zildjian since last summer.
He placed another order a couple weeks ago, and my 15" A Mastersound hats were the only thing that even showed up from the order last week!

If, somehow, Regal Tip does come back from the brink of death (which I'm absolutely hoping for), I'm thinking that Regal Tip will be deluged with orders. They may need to have a massive supply ready to fulfill and keep up with the demand. If they don't properly prepare for a return to life, they may risk having another major shortage that may irk those who didn't abandon them already. Those are my thoughts.

If they do come back with their full lines/models again, I'd like to know if anyone thinks my assessment is accurate, or do you think there won't be the demand that I think there'd be? Are there other factors, good or bad, that I'm not seeing, should they come back to full production?

If, somehow, Regal Tip does come back from the brink of death (which I'm absolutely hoping for), I'm thinking that Regal Tip will be deluged with orders. They may need to have a massive supply ready to fulfill and keep up with the demand. If they don't properly prepare for a return to life, they may risk having another major shortage that may irk those who didn't abandon them already. Those are my thoughts.

If they do come back with their full lines/models again, I'd like to know if anyone thinks my assessment is accurate, or do you think there won't be the demand that I think there'd be? Are there other factors, good or bad, that I'm not seeing, should they come back to full production?
I think your assessment is true for at least a couple months. I'm certainly looking forward to it. I used nothing but Regal Tips when I was a kid, and now that I'm playing again, I'm using Vic Firths, which are fine. But a buddy of mine has a pair of Regal 7a's that I like better than the Firths, and it reminded me of why I used them starting in the late 60's.

OTOH, I'll pass on freaking out over their absence. Like I said, Firths (and Pro Marks) are fine as far as I'm concerned, and it's not stopping me from enjoying playing again even a little. And Vaters would be fine if they didn't saw the butt end off...weird stylistic choice if you ask me, but OK.

In conclusion, as best as I can tell the RT company is not operational in most respects. It’s truly sad. I hope they are able to overcome and mitigate whatever difficulties they are beleaguered by. And, if so, such rebound should include making it easier for their customers. I, for one, am not going to spend my time chasing down a means to do business with them. To be successful they need to be customer centric, like e.g., Sweetwater and Costco.

Back