regal tip down?

drumhammerer

Silver Member
So, is regal tip out of business? I've noticed a lot of their models have vanished from stores, so it makes me wonder. I know they were re-tooling some things, but it seems like it's been a long time for that to still be going on.

Their website is still up with a full contingent of sticks. I used to use Regal Tip sticks almost exclusively. Only the wood tip ones though. I once bought a pair with the nylon tips and hated how they sounded. But I haven't bought any in a long time. The majority of my most recent stick purchases were Vic Firth. Now you have me wondering. I'll ask about them the next time I head to Sam Ash.

My local music store stopped carrying Regal Tip. He said that none of their distributors carry RT anymore. He has customers asking for them but can’t get them. The nearest Guitar Center doesn’t have them either. I think it’s a distribution problem on RTs end.

yeah, it's gotta be a distribution issue, at least in part. As far as the re tooling, I thought that was only for the nylon tips, and if so it's been taking so long they're losing tons of money being down. And, I don't think their website has been updated in awhile, as I've heard they discontinued some models, but those are still shown on there. For instance, I play the Jake Hanna model for certain lighter gigs, and I can't find those anywhere, not even a stray pair on ebay.

Last time I spoke with anyone at the office it was probably early Spring when I got my last order of sticks. There wasn't any indication that things were going down behind the scenes. I do know that it's a family run business and Joe's wife passed away over the summer. That probably derailed things a bit for a while. Everyone in that office, even the non-family employees are all close.
They have scaled back on distribution to stores the last couple years, as they own their own distribution company, Direct Music Supply. A stated before they also sell direct now. I think that would be the best way to go if you're looking for product.

And their Social Media is still active. They don't post on IG much, but they do post to their story almost every day.
And their FB's most recent activity was just a few weeks ago in early December. So I wouldn't count them as down and out at all.

Last edited:
Last time I spoke with anyone at the office it was probably early Spring when I got my last order of sticks. There wasn't any indication that things were going down behind the scenes. I do know that it's a family run business and Joe's wife passed away over the summer. That probably derailed things a bit for a while. Everyone in that office, even the non-family employees are all close.
They have scaled back on distribution to stores the last couple years, as they own their own distribution company, Direct Music Supply. A stated before they also sell direct now. I think that would be the best way to go if you're looking for product.

And their Social Media is still active. They don't post on IG much, but they do post to their story almost every day.
And their FB's most recent activity was just a few weeks ago in early December. So I wouldn't count them as down and out at all.

Carol passed away? Damn, wasn't she pretty much running the place? And, I love the 5BX nylon, which is like no other model that can be found, so I'd hate to lose those. I'll check the site to see what I can get.

I just looked at the site, and it says they are out of stock on the 5BX nylons, same with the 5AX. I ordered a pair from my source months ago (they weren't in stock at the time), and haven't heard anything about them since.

Maybe they're preparing to make a splash at NAMM in a couple of weeks.

I'm sure we would have heard if they announced anything big, but are they at NAMM at all? I've been looking around, but haven't seen anything.

Hopefully, they're quietly gearing back up and will be back in full production soon.

After 6 months last year trying to get in touch with them regarding the lack of product, they finally responded to me thru FB Messenger in February:
“ There is not a direct hold on production. We are and have been in a reinvestment stage over the past view years. Started with marketing, then moved to raw material supply. Then into retooling, in two parts. We have retooled our brush sleeve molds, retooled our nylon tip tooling. Now are currently retooling our stick models. 5A 5B 8A 9A Jazz 7A 5AX 5BX all wood tipped models have been completed. We are moving onto those versions in nylon tip. Will then move into perfomer series. Our brand for the forseeable future is not closing or selling out. We are the oldest manufacture in the industry and we are currently taking care of ourselves from the inside. We appreciate the concern and are fully aware of the supply shortages And are moving as fast as we see fit. Thank you for reaching out.”

Back