Refinishing My Drums

HUdrummer

Ok I have this old Apollo kit I got from a friend for only $40. Im wanting to mess with it a little bit now that I got my Brady kit. I'm wanting to refinish it. It already has the ugly stain on it, but Im wanting to change it up a bit. I'm either going to restain it a darker walnut color then glossing it, or spray painting it black with a white strip, then gloss it, painting it white with a green strip and gloss it, also you should suggest me colors. I dont know which one to do, and also I dont know how to do it? What are the steps I should use to do this? How many coats should I do. Should I sand of the old stain, or not? And also the inside of the kit is also ugly. I guess the people who did the staining last didnt know how to do it cause it has drip of stain and stuff. Should I paint inside too? Sorry bout all the questions, but I really dont want to mess this up.

Thanks ahead of time!

Nodiggie

Gold Member
As far as colors, those sound good to me.

Do a search on wood refinishing on youtube, sure there will be many to check out. Finishing the inside is up to you. Just don't get paint or finish all over the bearing edges and you will be fine.

HUdrummer

Ok thanks! Whats all the supplys I would need? I also hear that there is a way to spray paint chrome without it peeling. Does anyone kno how to do that?

HUdrummer

Im really sorry about the tripple post, but I really really really would like some advise on this because Im going to my friends house tommaro to get it done, and obviously I dont wanna mess up. So can someone please help me???

TNA

I've refinished a few kits. First obviously is to remove all hardware, so you have only the wood shell. Mine had wraps so I removed those, but since yours is stained you will probably want to sand that off. Just get a medium grit paper to get the old stuff off. Then keep resanding with finer grit paper until it is smooth. The thing with staining is that it will bring out any flaws in the wood, so its all about prep. If you are staining it again, simple wood stain from a home improvement store will work, it's pretty straightforward to apply. If you want to spray paint I would recommend using car paint, it really holds well and looks great. I'm not sure how many coats you will need, I'd do at least 2 or more if you want. Then you need to lacquer. You can do it the simple way or the complex way, again the more work you want to do the better it will look. You can even get spray polyurethane and it will work well, although it is not as good as the brush on kind. Then you can either wet sand between coats for a very good finish, or you can get away without sanding for still a pretty good finish. Either way you will want several coats.

HUdrummer

Thanks very much! Ive decided Im gunna restain my apollo kit, but Im also gunna spray paint my other kit (black with white strips). The problem ive ran into is getting out the god damn grommet. I just about ruin my snare shell around the grommet trying to get the bitch out. So should i just leave the other ones in and just put some painting tape over it, And also how would I fix the wood on the snare? Should I put the new grommet in, the use some wood filler around it? also befor I paint could I use wood filler to cover up the holes in my bass and rack tom to make it a virgin bass?

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Thanks very much! Ive decided Im gunna restain my apollo kit, but Im also gunna spray paint my other kit (black with white strips). The problem ive ran into is getting out the god damn grommet. I just about ruin my snare shell around the grommet trying to get the bitch out. So should i just leave the other ones in and just put some painting tape over it, And also how would I fix the wood on the snare? Should I put the new grommet in, the use some wood filler around it? also befor I paint could I use wood filler to cover up the holes in my bass and rack tom to make it a virgin bass?
I would just mask off the grommets if they are that difficult to remove. I would get some wooden dowel rod and plug the holes off. You can epoxy them in and then sand them flush and smooth. This would be much better than using wood filler alone since the holes are fairly large.

HUdrummer

Thanks alot man!!! What brand of car paint should I use in black and white, and how many cans should I get? Could someone please make me a list of the supplys I need, how many I would need, and what brands you would suggest?

Nodiggie

Gold Member
150 grt Wood sanding paper (garnet paper)
220 grt
fine steel wool
Tack rag (wax cheese cloth)
Foam sanding block

You sould be able to get this at any hardware store. Just tell them you are refinishing wood not metal. I'm not a painter so I have no idea how much paint you will need. Just keep in mind, most automotive paints require two part reducers and such which can start costing some coin depending on the quality and manufacture you go with. There might be some 1 part automotive paints available but I'm not sure about this. I'm sure there are some options available just ask your paint supplier.

Here's a good read before you decide to use automotive paints: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0709_automotive_paint/index.html

Last edited:

HUdrummer

THanks for the help, but can someone please give me some links to all the supplys you would suggest I use, (including paint).

Thanks ahead of time!

TNA

I've never sprayed drums so I have no idea how many cans you will need. But I sprayed a guitar with a burst finish and I believe I got away with only using the 2 cans, but i'm not sure it's beena long time. The brand I used was Duplicolor, you can find it at most auto part stores, it costs about the same as any other spray paint. As for the filing the holes thing, I guess you could try it, but I am sure it will show up after painting. Unless you do a very god job of prepping, and put on multiple coats of paint, I imagine it would be very difficult to make it look like a virgin drum.

Don't worry about what the other guy said about the car paint. That's only if you are actually going to be painting a car and the paint needs to hold up against the elements.

HUdrummer

Thanks so much man. I think im gunna get 2 cans of black just in case, and 1 can of white. 2 spay cans of polyethylene, 220grt, and 150grt sandpaper. Im getting the stuff tommaro, so is that all that I will need?

Edit: 1 Problem, I cant find that duplicolor in the colors I want ( Jet black, white) could someone give me a link for them?

TNA

I'm sure any brand will work. Just check at your local auto parts store, I'm sure they'll have several kinds of black. You know you can always make another trip to the store if you find out later you need more stuff.

uniongoon

Gold Member
I have been rebuilding drums for 30 years, now I am even building my own shells. I started just like you but without the internet. You learn from your mistakes, thats what makes the journey fun and the finished product mean so much. Jump in and use your head instead of trying to get a step by step tutorial over the web. It is just an old apollo, not worth the sandpaper and paint you are going to use, so it is the perfect drum to learn on.
If you really want to learn to use your hands like a craftsman, Quit being so dependant on the computer.

TNA

Is it a good idea not to take off the wrap, and just paint a white strip over iit???
It depends on how you want it to look. You can probably imagine how a painted on stripe will look on the wrap, and how the drum would look all painted. It's up to you!