Refinishing Drums

positivebalance

At this point, my drums have been stripped, de-covered, sanded, and shellac-ed. I'm going to paint them, and probably put a nitrocellulose finish on top of the paint. my concern before painting, however, is the inside of the drums. i'm thinking of just putting a couple coats of shellac on the inside to just give the wood extraneous stability. i'm not sure how the sound will come out though. has anyone done this before? what about stain, or even nitrocellulose [on the inside, that is]?

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
At this point, my drums have been stripped, de-covered, sanded, and shellac-ed. I'm going to paint them, and probably put a nitrocellulose finish on top of the paint. my concern before painting, however, is the inside of the drums. i'm thinking of just putting a couple coats of shellac on the inside to just give the wood extraneous stability. i'm not sure how the sound will come out though. has anyone done this before? what about stain, or even nitrocellulose [on the inside, that is]?
There was a thread not too long ago about finishing the inside of drums - pros, cons, what it did for the sound, why and how some manufacturers do it. See if you can find that.