Refinishing a stained kit

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. Sanding is out, lathing is out, wrap was considered. I'm going with a birch veneer when I do it. Not sure yet if I will keep it natural or stain it. I really want woodgrain. Piano Black was never really a first choice.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
If you use a veneer, you could use a clear wipe on poly. That would bring out the natural grain, and serve as plenty of protection.

someguy01

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. Sanding is out, lathing is out, wrap was considered. I'm going with a birch veneer when I do it. Not sure yet if I will keep it natural or stain it. I really want woodgrain. Piano Black was never really a first choice.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
No one has brought this up so I will.

What will the thickness of the veneer do to the drum? Will the added mass, as little as it would be, change the tonality of the drum? Will it effect how the head seats? Will it cause splay because the lugs stick out farther? Remember, the thickness gets doubled because a drum is round, so a 1mm veneer actually makes the drum 2mm bigger in diameter.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

What will the thickness of the veneer do to the drum? Will the added mass, as little as it would be, change the tonality of the drum? Will it effect how the head seats? Will it cause splay because the lugs stick out farther? Remember, the thickness gets doubled because a drum is round, so a 1mm veneer actually makes the drum 2mm bigger in diameter.
I considered that. I'm pretty sure veneer is much thinner than wraps, but I don't know for sure. These Eames shells aren't what I would call thin. So I don't want more mass. Also I'm not a good wood finisher. I make things work. Making them look good is someone else's job. I do feel I could do a coat of clear without too much incident. We'll see

If you use a veneer, you could use a clear wipe on poly. That would bring out the natural grain, and serve as plenty of protection.

See I like this. It's easy. do they come in tints?

Going there now, it sounds really great

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It turns out I need only 2 - 4'x8' sheets of veneer. 120 shekels. I'm there. The deepest shell is less than 24" so I can use the sheets efficiently with minimal waste.

I'm looking for opinions here. I was considering a cherry veneer. Over a birch shell. Initially I wanted birch because it's a birch shell, keeping it as close to original as possible. But I dig the cherry finish and I have nothing like that. It speaks to me.

What is making me wanting to keep the original birch finish? To stay true as possible to the original shell. I'm questioning if that is a good enough reason. It could get sold after I go back home to Nibiru, so do I care about resale value after I'm gone? Hahaha.

I still want to hear the collective wisdom of all the fine people here.

Art and Brian, still feel free to comment :p

someguy01

It turns out I need only 2 - 4'x8' sheets of veneer. 120 shekels. I'm there. The deepest shell is less than 24" so I can use the sheets efficiently with minimal waste.

I'm looking for opinions here. I was considering a cherry veneer. Over a birch shell. Initially I wanted birch because it's a birch shell, keeping it as close to original as possible. But I dig the cherry finish and I have nothing like that. It speaks to me.

What is making me wanting to keep the original birch finish? To stay true as possible to the original shell. I'm questioning if that is a good enough reason. It could get sold after I go back home to Nibiru, so do I care about resale value after I'm gone? Hahaha.

I still want to hear the collective wisdom of all the fine people here.

Art and Brian, still feel free to comment :p
Go for the cherry, it seems to be calling you. Go with your heart Larry.

someguy01

I can say that I wrapped my kit and it didn't effect any of the parameters you listed. Like Larry said, I'm pretty sure the bum wrap is thicker than a veneer.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Hey man thanks for the tip on the wood website. It's kind of the whole second step, deciding to do it, then getting it. At probably less than $175 after shipping and tax, it's certainly worth it. Should I rough up the shells before applying the veneer? You know, show 'em who's boss? :)

someguy01

Hey man thanks for the tip on the wood website. It's kind of the whole second step, deciding to do it, then getting it. At probably less than $175 after shipping and tax, it's certainly worth it. Should I rough up the shells before applying the veneer? You know, show 'em who's boss? :)
You know, I don't really know. I haven't ever applied a veneer. It would make sense to give a sanding just to get better adhesion.
Rockler is my go to for any and all woodworking needs.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Should I rough up the shells before applying the veneer? You know, show 'em who's boss? :)
It would give the adhesive more tooth to adhere to, unless you are using a double sided tape. Then you want a clean, smooth surface.