Refinished (stained) Pearl Forum into Jungle Kit

Dignan

Silver Member
About six months ago I scored a 3-piece Pearl Forum kit and three toms from a Royce beginners kit...FOR FREE on Craigslist! The owners parents just wanted them out of the house. Both kits had the standard wine red wrap you see on so many beginner kits. So I decided to try my hand at refinishing some of the drums to make a jungle kit. I used some kind of a mahogany wood stain and went for a fade look (darker towards the hoops and lighter in the middle. Two coats of polyurethane finish shined them up. The bass is a 16" floor tom from the Royce kit that I converted into a bass drum (with the Pearl JG16 Jungle conversion kit).

So far I really like how they all sound. My only screw up was not covering the inside of the shells and I got fingerprint stain on the insides. As long as I used coated heads all the time it's not noticeable. Not too shabby for my first shot at doing this. I'll probably go ahead and refinish the Pearl 22" kick so I have a more versatile setup. I know, I know...another wood stain finished beginners kit. Not original or extraordinary but it was still a fun project and they look better than they did with the wrap. Here they are...

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Not bad at all. so you have a 16 floor and a 16 bass drum? Evans now make 16 inch bass drum heads if needed.

Dignan

Silver Member
Not bad at all. so you have a 16 floor and a 16 bass drum? Evans now make 16 inch bass drum heads if needed.

It's a 10" 14", 16" in the photo. I have a 22" kick that came with it but haven't redone it yet. I'll check out those Evans 16" bass drum heads. Still need better heads on the 16".

Dignan

Silver Member
Nice project! Well done! That finish looks great! You did the fade just by the amount of stain applied?

Thanks! Yes. I applied the stain with a cloth. I did a few extra coats at the top and bottom and blended it out towards the middle until it looked even.

Last edited:

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Really nice! That's one of the nicest looking refinishing jobs I've seen so far. No clear top coat?

GeeDeeEmm