Rediscovered Another Moldy Oldie

MikeM

Platinum Member
Seems I was pretty active recording with people back in the '90s. That was before I had kids, so I can only offer up yet another unclassic not-quite-gem.

This is a band I played with briefly. They were somewhere between Bauhaus and Oasis to my ears. Not entirely my cup of tea, but they were prolific songwriters and I had just come from a band where that was sorely lacking.

So this is me not being all assed-out heaviness like most of what I've posted before. But fear not heathens, as I'm wearing my overplaying hat in more than one spot. I kind of like the feel of the drumming overall, but I also wished I was working out with a click back then as much as I am now. I don't mind that it floats around a bit (and bogs down at one point), only that it would be nice if it did a little less so.

Attachments

Last edited:

MikeM

Platinum Member
This one didn't make the cut at the end of this session. I don't remember why - probably didn't have any vocals yet. Okay with me since I never cared for it (cornball melody), but listening back, the drumming kind of cracks me up.

There's probably no vocals since I didn't leave room for any (sabotage successful - hehe).

Take that Polly - I have posted some warts and bad decisions here!

Attachments

MikeM

Platinum Member
Okay, one more just because I can't resist the aggro number (from the same session back in '95).

Did I mention that we never had a name? Well, I had named us "The Chumps" long before I ever got a copy of this! They were nice guys but somehow I don't think they would have been amused...

Attachments

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I dig the first tune.

Bauhaus meets Alice in Chains. The cymbals cut really nicely there too.
Nice job. I wish I had better copies of what I did in the 90's, but much of it wasn't recorded very well,wasn't finished, or otherwise lost to time.

And well, my ex-singer walked off with a box of my stuff.

MikeM

Platinum Member
The cymbals cut really nicely there too.
Funny you mention those because I'm fixated on them almost more than anything else on this recording (the other major fixation if the 6.5x14 Tama Mastercraft steel from '83 - wish I still had it). The two crashes are an 18" 2oo2 Medium and an 18" A Custom. Those two are really distinct to my ears. They're not confusable at all. The hats were a New Beat top over a Quick Beat bottom, there was the 22" A Medium Ride, and a broken cymbal stack on my far right (that I ride on during the beginning of the first song).

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Mike ... you rock!!!

I liked the first song desert song, Like Ian I liked you cymbals work, and those flams on the snare and toms, which complemented your strong bass drum pattern, the song is really well thought out with some very good arrangements, good vocal too :)

Nameless, I enjoy these 12/8 patterns myself, but what you did between 2:17 to 2:43 is absolutely amazing, I loved it :)

But for me, the icing on the cake is Supernovacaine, man this one had me rocking on my seat with the biggest grin on my face, and after the stops at 2:17, that guitar solo... woooaaaoooww!!! Seriously Mike, this groove of yours on that take was burning hot, inspiring rock feel indeed, the snare/bass drum lick really does it for me :)

You're a really badass son of a ...drummer Mike :)

MikeM

Platinum Member
Jeez, thanks a lot, Henri! Mutual admiration society going on here! I'm thrilled you like it after hearing your recent 3 postings. Awesome!

I like the 12/8 thing, too. A lot of fun to play and I don't do it nearly as often as I'd like. Only wish I liked that particular song but what the hell ... it was fun!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
First one seems like a cross between Nirvana and Tool ... creepy, but in a good way. Mike, your playing is as excellent as usual. Powerful with consistent flow.

Second one - looking for those warts and bad decisions. A couple of moments where your playing was a tiny bit less precise than usual but very, very minor. Post that in a flubbs thread, mister, and you'd be out on your ear!

Third one - vintage Mike drumming. Brutal and berserk - and in 7/8. Wow.

How did you not end up a pro?? You've got the goods. They musta asked you to play ballads :)

MikeM

Platinum Member
Thanks, sticks. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the kind words, Pol.

That second one was just kind of a joyride. We knew it wasn't finished but we wanted to get a rough version of it down anyway. That's why I wasn't feeling very inhibited about throwing silly stuff at it, and why it still cracks me up listening to it. The middle part that MAD referred to was heavily inspired by Bruford's crazy ride cymbal playing from the song Indiscipline mixed with my best fake of various Weckl-isms all dumbed down enough so I could get my rock head around it! There was probably supposed to be some kind of guitar solo there, so if that was the intent (and it probably was) then that could easily qualify as bad decision making on my part.

What would Steve Gadd have done? (Answer: not what I did!) Oh well.

Anyway, they never asked me to play ballads, but I didn't feel like it would have been out of the question given the contents of their CD collections. I had some other friends looking to get something started that was more up my alley, so this project wasn't so hard to walk away from. However, they did indulge me by playing a song I wrote at work one night (on the graveyard shift). I'm not sure what time signature it's in, but the phrase is 3 bars of 5/8 followed by a bar of 6/8 (does that make it 21/8?). I had a darker, surly vibe in mind and the singer totally missed what I was hoping for. Never really liked the song after that but it was nice of them to play it.

Attachments

Last edited:
B

BigSteve

Mike you do rock! I really liked the groove section on Desert Song at the 3:00 mark also the grooving in sections of Nameless Mixless, but I've got to agree with MAD, the guitar solo section on Supernovacaine was smokin'.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Thanks Steve. That little groove section on Desert is my favorite part of that song, too. And yeah, that guitar solo's pretty rippin' in a non-shred way. He liked his wah wah! Cheers!