Recording

ace76543

Ok, I got my first mic today, and I'm having trouble getting the sound onto my computer. I bought a USB Audio/Midi Interface and I plugged my at2020 into it, and installed all the drivers and whatnot, including cubase LE (which doesn't work with vista 64 btw). I can't use cubase, so i tried audacity and that didn't work. What program can I use to record with this thing? Or is it something I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Ok I got a sound but it's very very quiet. Ideas?

Edit: I think I figured it out, but I think i changed something that I shouldn't have, because now when i press record on audacity it says"Error while opening sound device. Please check the input settings and the project sample rate"
This just gets more and more confusing

Last edited:
Sounds more like a hardware issue.

Any software recording program is going to record.

Type of mic, and how it's being routed into the computer is the big question.

Have you gone to the Sound settings in your Control Panel and looked for External Mic etc??

Edit: I think I figured it out, but I think i changed something that I shouldn't have, because now when i press record on audacity it says"Error while opening sound device. Please check the input settings and the project sample rate"
This just gets more and more confusing

Ensure the project rate in audacity (usually a box at the bottom of the window) matches whatever your device is set to, also check audacity's audio setup under Edit / Preferences. It's easy to accidentally change the project rate with an errant click so it's worth checking it. Make sure you're using the device you want for playback and recording, and that the sample rate and format are set to ones compatible with the device you bought; the manual should have all that information.

As for volume, make sure the impedence is set correctly where you plug in the mic, the mic pre-amp is set to a reasonable gain, et cetera.

It doesn't sound like this is your problem, but just in case: I got that same error message occasionally and couldn't figure out why for the longest time. Then I realized Audacity just refused to record when FL Studio was open.

Back