Recording your drumming

Ba Dum Tsss

Hey what's up fellow drumbros. Just registered and this is my first post although I'm sure I'll become a regular visitor.

I've been a drummer for about 10 years but the last couple years I've been slacking (I play like 1-3 hours a week or something because of college and what not) but I really want to pick it up again.

I was thinking about recording my drumming because a lot of drummers recommend doing this.
Now I don't know jack shit about microphones (at least not one's suited for drums) so I have no clue what to get or if I should get more than one for that matter.

I also don't want to spend too much money on this so I'd like the best bang for the buck but if you guys recommend to go all the way and simply get a really good set then I'll consider that.

So yea. Enlighten me please.

Cheers.

PS: how do I change it so that first displayed post in a thread isn't the newest but the oldest one (so the first post being the OP).

It said in the FAQ to look for display options once you're in a thread but I can't find it.

For a good clean recording that's hassle free, go get a Zoom H2. Good mics & 24 bit wav recorder all in one. Plug in & download directly into your computer. You can pick them up now for the price of a mid range mic.

PS: how do I change it so that first displayed post in a thread isn't the newest but the oldest one (so the first post being the OP).

It said in the FAQ to look for display options once you're in a thread but I can't find it.

Go Control Panel (User CP) = upper left

there go EDIT OPTIONS (at the left...)

here you are: Thread display options

Bernhard

Hey peeps, i'm a newbie on here aswell... have been posting on the derek roddy forum for several years now but i thought it was time to branch out a bit! don't worry i'm not a massive metal head!

My name's Sam (as you can see) and you can find some vids of me drumming here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/samblast

I have recently started recording myself alot, i'm using the zoom h16 borrowed off a friend, but it's real good and easy to use!

Been recording to alot of the igoe back-in tracks recently, good fun!

peace!

I'm with the recommendations for the H2 since I own one of those. But you might as well go all the way and get the Zoom Q3. It's basically an H2 with standard def VIDEO!

Then you can post videos of your playing on YouTube as well!

Re: Ear monitors

Hi Gays

I whant know if somebody use some in ear monitor and if you think is good to use it on studio recording.

Thanks

Prof drums from Batteria Blog

Italy

In-ear monitors are usually seen on the live stage in replacement of the standard wedge monitor speakers that are still somewhat prevalent. However, with the quality of some of the professional in-ear earbuds, I don't see why you couldn't use them in the recording studio. But at that point, if you're just recording, and with the prices of the really good in-ear earbud sets, you can afford high-end stereo headphones (look up the Shure in-ear monitors and prices for really good stereo headphones, they're about the same). In terms of maintenance, stereo headphones in a recording studio would be cheaper in the long run because for in-ears, you have to replace the foam ear pieces over time and being something that sticks in your ears may mean they will degrade faster over time as well. Some people may not get into having buds in their ears for long periods of time, either.

Never used the Zoom thing everyone has mentioned? But if you want a good sound I'd recommend getting a usb interface to record to your computer. Then you really only need two overhead condenser mics to get some really good quality recording. I bought a full drum mic set and have actually stopped using them because I found the overheads just sound better.

Back