Recording with one microphone

three86

So I have been recording with one microphone a sm57 over the bass drum, under the ride, pointed at the snare. I like one specific sm57 the best out of other crappy mics I have but I was thinking I would like to try something with more range 20Hz-20kHz to see if I like it better or for a different flavor. Here are some mics I am considering trying out.

Has anyone used any of these for single mic drum recording? I would try to buy used but the price new is for reference.

Rode NTK $529
Rode NT2-A $399
Audio-Technica AT2020 $99
Audio-Technica AT2050 $229
AKG P420 $199
Audix CX212B $399
sE Electronics T2 $499
sE Electronics X1 S $199

KamaK

Platinum Member
Has anyone used any of these for single mic drum recording? I would try to buy used but the price new is for reference.

Audio-Technica AT2020 $99
Audio-Technica AT2050 $229

While I typically use 2xAT2020's in ORTF/XY/SpacedPair along with a BD and snare mic, I've tested out TCHAD/Blake with a single 2020, and would rank it "not horrible".

three86

While I typically use 2xAT2020's in ORTF/XY/SpacedPair along with a BD and snare mic, I've tested out TCHAD/Blake with a single 2020, and would rank it "not horrible".

thanks I think I might try that first since it is so inexpensive. I see the AT2035 is the same but has 8db better s/n, 10db pad and a shock mount so I'll grab a used one of those.

I have some behringer c2 that I used to use back in the day for overheads. I tried one of those where I have the sm57 but the toms don't sound as good. Also a cheap AKG but the kick sounded bad.

three86

I suppose you know this already, but having a good mic only goes as far as what you plug it in to. Your SM57 will sound awesome if you plugged it into a high-end mic preamplifier like an API, or a Manly. What are you plugging your 57 into? Straight into an interface? Straight to camera/recorder?

For testing straight into an interface UMC404HD recorded with reaper no eq. I have six mics but no large diaphragm or anything of quality. Two of the mics are sm57 and I like one of them slightly better. So it is a relative comparison.

I like your point and I will try plugging into some other stuff. For reference this is me just messing around at home as a one man band recording ideas it is not for live sound or any serious recording. I like the sound of my drums in the room and the one sm57 captures that pretty well. I am mostly curious if a "better" mic would take it to another level.

StevenMorgan

I never had problems with the mic, but I always had trouble finding comfortable and top-quality microphone booms. Each time, it lasted only for one or two months, and I never understood the problem. Now, I found https://www.itsaboutmusic.com/best-microphone-boom-arm, and there are several recommendations. I admire that they give a little information to help the customer, and I chose two of them and I am waiting for the delivery. BTW, this website is very helpful for people working in this domain.

Last edited:

roncadillac

"I like one specific sm57 the best out of other crappy mics I have"

I personally would much rather have a multi mic set up consisting of several lesser quality/lesser preferred mics then a single mic set up consisting of a single higher quality/more preferred mic. If you've got a 57 and a few other mics (even of lesser quality) I would suggest spending the money on a proper board to dump them all into instead of spending money on yet another mic when you are only going to use 1 anyway.

jdavis

I personally would much rather have a multi mic set up consisting of several lesser quality/lesser preferred mics then a single mic set up consisting of a single higher quality/more preferred mic. If you've got a 57 and a few other mics (even of lesser quality) I would suggest spending the money on a proper board to dump them all into instead of spending money on yet another mic when you are only going to use 1 anyway.
That's what I used to think. But, nowadays, I'd rather focus on better results at the source than a nice board to plug everything into.

If your drums and room are sorted, the right mics will contribute the most to getting a good sound.

Also, it's good to keep in mind that the more mics you use, the more potential there is for phase issues which can suck the life out of your recordings. IMO, less is more when it comes to stuff like this. Just my two cents. (y)