recording the kit using six SM57s | full instrumental mix video clip

edwicht

So the other day I had a little go at recording the drums using only Shure SM57s and while I was at it I couldn't help but record a little snippet of a song just to see how the whole thing would work out in an instrumental mix.

Turns out: It sounds kind of cool.
(Keeping in mind that I'm using a humble six mic setup into a Mackie VLZ3 mixer into a ZOOM H6 field recorder.)

Here's the mic positions, it's all SM57s as I mentioned:
- inside kick
- outside kick
- snare top
- 'wurst' mic
- mono oh
- mono room (on the floor in the corner of my room, pointing at the kit)

Of course, context is key and I wouldn't necessarily try to record technical death metal drums with this setup, but it's good for some low-ish-fi alternative/wave/post punk/etc. stuff.

So for this little example track I dug into the 80's, specifically into the German-based 'Neue Deutsche Welle' movement and had a go at a song called 'Goldener Reiter' by Joachim Witt.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, to be honest.

And on a side note: The bass track in this one is hard as nails, especially the staccato part in the chorus section.
It's so tiring for someone who rarely picks up a bass guitar.
Can't help but feeling a bit smug for nailing it, though. (;

So here's the wee clip:

Cheers!

Supergrobi

Haha "Der Goldene Reiter" - awesome track! One of my favs from the NDW. Great playing, absolutely supporting the feel of the track. And good, matching sound also. How about vocals? 🤩

edwicht

Thanks, dude!
Might actually go for a full cover one of these days. It's definitely a cool song to play.

edwicht

One is for the beater/batter, one is for the reso.
You're absolutely right! (;

The inside one gives you the attack you need to get the kick heard, the outside one give you the low end thump you need in order to get kick felt.

rhumbagirl

You're absolutely right! (;

The inside one gives you the attack you need to get the kick heard, the outside one give you the low end thump you need in order to get kick felt.
Thanks! I've got the single Beta52 sitting in my porthole. Not sure what the effect is in getting good head response.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Thanks! I've got the single Beta52 sitting in my porthole. Not sure what the effect is in getting good head response.
Mic the batter, or the reso, or both.

Take your B52, put it in the drum pointed towards the batter. When I say "in" the drum, I mean authoritatively within the drum, and not within 3-4 inches of the port and the turbulence it generates. Record a bit of 4 on the floor.

Take your B52 out of the drum and point it at the reso. Align it on the opposite side of the diameter from the port, and about 3-4 inches from the skin. Several inches from the hoop for ring-controlled heads. Not dead center. Record a bit of 4 on the floor.

Playback both beats and compare. Try to take note of the different attributes. One has the the click of the beater. One has a long decay. Etc, Etc..

Both are useful, though some positions are prefered for certain genres and production techniques.