Recording set up... *sorry for typos*

Hey Yall! I'm new to the Drummerworld forum so first off thanks for having me!

In November I have the go ahead (from my wife) to get what ever kit/setup I want. I was going to go with a DW but I think now I will be getting a Mapex armory.

I have always wanted to record my drums for covers of songs to upload to youtube but I have never had money. Money now isn't an issues. I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO RECORD. I seriously need HELP! I know that I will need mics, audio interface, and recording software. I already have a macbook pro. I really really really need direction on how to hook up mics, record my drums, and edit and up load drum covers. I don't want to sound desperate but I am. Another reason I haven't tried to record is because my kit right now is $hi! and the stock snare is garbage. If ANYONE... ANYONE at ALL has any tips, videos, or advice it would mean the world to me.

I'm getting my kit from sweetwater.com and everything else for my kit from there so I would also like to get all the recording materials from there all in November as well so sweetwater links are appreciated as well.

Thank you guys so much. I look forward to hopefully seeing some replies. Have a good one!! ????

Mapex armory is great kit... but if money isn't an issue why not get a better Mapex? A Saturn Tour V would be good or if you wanna really splurge, get the black panther versatus. If you would like you can send me a PM and I'll help you out with mics and setup.
Thanks!

There are quite a lot of variables, especially when it comes to mics. Even with drums, unless you must have all the options, I'd recommend quality over quantity. You can get pretty far with snare, BD and some semi decent OHs. Then, as you get more knowledge and know more about what you want or need you can look into more close micing and room micing options. It really isn't necessary for basic recording and may end up complicating your learning process unnecessarily. The room and propper mic placement will be the biggest factors in getting a good sound.

DAW depends a bit on what you want to do, how much and what type of editing you want to do etc... They all do the same thing, but they have different workflow.

What I can probably recommend though is that your interface is an all in one unit and if you don't want to break the bank look at Focusrite. I have a Scarlett 18i20, but if you have the right connection on your Macbook and a bit more to spend the Clarett series might also be interesting

Whatever DAW you choose, there should be a beginner tutorial on youtube for it.

Here are some vids from Austin Burcham.

Odd-Arne started you off on the right track. Go to YouTube and learn learn learn. There's a lot to learn. I started this journey about 2 years ago and yea, it's daunting. I'm still a beginner.

There are quite a lot of variables, especially when it comes to mics. Even with drums, unless you must have all the options, I'd recommend quality over quantity. You can get pretty far with snare, BD and some semi decent OHs. Then, as you get more knowledge and know more about what you want or need you can look into more close micing and room micing options. It really isn't necessary for basic recording and may end up complicating your learning process unnecessarily. The room and propper mic placement will be the biggest factors in getting a good sound.

DAW depends a bit on what you want to do, how much and what type of editing you want to do etc... They all do the same thing, but they have different workflow.

What I can probably recommend though is that your interface is an all in one unit and if you don't want to break the bank look at Focusrite. I have a Scarlett 18i20, but if you have the right connection on your Macbook and a bit more to spend the Clarett series might also be interesting

Whatever DAW you choose, there should be a beginner tutorial on youtube for it.

Here are some vids from Austin Burcham.

I watched these the other day and it made a lit me sense to me. The only problem is learning the software and making sure I get the right cords and equipment. The Ai is really what I stress about.

What kind of music will you be playing, what is your budget, and how much of that do you want to put towards a kit?
I love I guess you would call it "rock metal" but I just started on double bass. I want to record my covers of country songs that I think that I make better tracks too. Eventually I will start hopefully doing metal covers. The kit I am looking at is a Mapex Armory 6 piece just because I really like the finish, the price, and I will not be moving the kit at all so touring and giging isnt an issue. I have about $2000 budget on my kit and cymbals and about $1000 on recording equipment. Thanks

I watched these the other day and it made a lit me sense to me. The only problem is learning the software and making sure I get the right cords and equipment. The Ai is really what I stress about.

Software is like any other. You'll be guided through it. The basics aren't hard.

Like with any other software, you probably won't learn everything about it, but you don't have to either.

Mapex armory is great kit... but if money isn't an issue why not get a better Mapex? A Saturn Tour V would be good or if you wanna really splurge, get the black panther versatus. If you would like you can send me a PM and I'll help you out with mics and setup.
Thanks!
What about an armory with the panther?

A $2000 budget for your entire drum kit and cymbals is going to be tight and require some compromises IF you insist on buying new. However, if you buy used and use some common sense, you can outfit a nice drumset with quality cymbals for that price. Are you willing to buy used gear?

I’m a old school ProTools guy and even I can’t see why you wouldn’t use garage band for learning. It’s free software on a Mac, uses just about any I/O (cable to computer interface, like some of the above mentioned), and it has a lot of built in tools (automation, multitrack recording, virtual instruments that sound decent, etc). Save money by getting a decent computer and a DAW at the same time and get a MacBook or desktop Mac.

Back