Recording rock with an 18" bass drum

RobertM

Platinum Member
Ditto: just tune that bad boy low, throw a good Aquarian Superkick II head on the 18", and you can easily get a good rock-sounding "thud."

Peter Erskine recorded on a Joni MItchell album using an 18" bass drum tuned very low (instead of a 20").

18 and 20 bass drums are the way to go. Down with the 18x22 bass drum conspiracy!!

randrade89

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try. Plus I have to get a good mic (shure beta 52 or sumthin) do you the name of the joni mitchell album ?

lochday

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try. Plus I have to get a good mic (shure beta 52 or sumthin) do you the name of the joni mitchell album ?
The album is "Mingus" It was recorded in 1979 and the musicians on the album are Wayne Shorter, Jaco Pastorius, Herbie Hancock, Don Alias, Emil Richards Wolves, Joni Mitchell of course, and ... Peter Erskine.

diosdude

Silver Member
Keep in mind though, while it's possible to achieve a low, powerful thud with the 18" using detuning and muffled heads and eq's in the mix, all of those mods on a 20" or 22" of the same make/ model yield better results. Hot-Rodders say "there's no replacement for displacement". The same applies to bass drums.

jer

Silver Member
Keep in mind though, while it's possible to achieve a low, powerful thud with the 18" using detuning and muffled heads and eq's in the mix, all of those mods on a 20" or 22" of the same make/ model yield better results. Hot-Rodders say "there's no replacement for displacement". The same applies to bass drums.
Call me the proud owner of a Vespa then, I can't subscribe to the "no replacement for displacement" logic. I have the 22" version of the 18" kick in the example, I prefer the sound of the 18". It's not "better", it's just different. I like the punch and definition I get from the 18" that I don't seem to get from my 22". Add in the portability, light weight and ease of packing into small cars and I can't see why I'd go back to the 22" as my primary kick.