Recording options while practicing

vtran711

Something I'm learning quickly is that it helps to listen back to your playing. We record during jam nights but I'm trying to figure out a way to record myself while practicing at home. I'm not looking for anything pro quality just something better than my phone which is what I'm using at the moment. All I want to do is be able to record myself playing while listening to a song then be able to play it back easily. I suppose it would be nice to move recordings to a computer but that's not really a priority. Does anyone record themselves practice and if so what are you using?

I think I'm playing so well and then the ugly truth comes out when I listen to the recording! :(

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Tascam, Zoom, Olympus and others make pocket sized, battery operated, digital stereo recorders that will make a fine evaluation recording. I think that's what you're looking for. They are about $300 and under.

OSDrums

Zoom H5! Records in stereo out of the box in decent quality. Can record up to four tracks (e.g. the two internal mics as overheads and additional mics for bassdrum and snare). Clearly one of my most used gadgets.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Mine has a headphone output jack that I could use headphones with or route through my home or car stereo with a 1/8" pin jack.

I use mine to record my gigs so it will be fine for practice.

vtran711

So with H4 can I record drums using builtin mics and music coming from phone at the same time? I would plugin headphones to H4 while recording so I can hear the music to play along? The result would be a recording with two tracks. One with the room/drums and the other track would be the music from phone? Is that how it works?

lefty2

Platinum Member
I bought a used zoom Q3 HD camera and recorder. I think I might’ve paid 150 for it. It records good audio and OK video I think it’s probably outdated by now some of the zoom products mentioned earlier are probably as good or better than what I have. I’m sure that the taskcam and Yamaha recorders are very good as well. I‘be seen them I think as low as $99

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a used zoom Q3 HD camera and recorder. I think I might’ve paid 150 for it.
I've even seen the earlier Zoom Q3 (non HD) for sale used at sub $25. Ok, the video sucks, but it's good enough for reference. The audio recording quality is just as good as any of the up to date models, except with less adjustment options (not that you need any really).

OSDrums

So with H4 can I record drums using builtin mics and music coming from phone at the same time? I would plugin headphones to H4 while recording so I can hear the music to play along? The result would be a recording with two tracks. One with the room/drums and the other track would be the music from phone? Is that how it works?
You can playback from your phone and record this in stereo to two tracks. At the same time you record your drums with the build in mics and these go to tracks 3&4. After the recording you can balance your drumtracks against the playback. It‘s even possible to Playback from the H5 and record another two tracks over that. But the phone playback is more convenient.

vtran711

Although I don't fully understand how it works it sounds like it's possible to do what I want. I've done plenty of google searches but still haven't seen an example of it. I'll be adding the Zoom to my wish list. Thank you!

By the way, what's your main usage of recorders? Do you all use them as a practice tool?

OSDrums

I mainly use my H5 to record all rehearsals of all of my bands. Next usage would be capturing the audio for Youtube videos - this is always four track (2x overheads, BD and SN). I have used it to record my playing to playbacks, but not very often. Last but not least I record every gig I play with the H5 - even if we are running multitrack recording from the board. It ist so easy - just set it on a tripod or mic stand, press record and forget it! I have a 8 GB card and NiMH accumulators in my recorder and it runs for 8h of continuous recording @ 48 kHz 24 bit wave format. Honestly I almost never press stop even in breaks between sets or band change - just leave it and cut later in the DAW.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The sole use for my little portable recorder is so I can hear the total resolved sound of whoever I'm playing with at gigs, so I can do it even better next time.

That's all I need it for. So I can decide what needs work.

Use it for whatever you want, practice, jams, gigs...but use it.