Recording issue w/ Roland TD-6V

RudeTudeDude

Hello everyone,

So I've been doing some drumming videos of me playing to mp3s via ipod. I run the Roland TD 6 stereo outputs (1/4") into an Berhinger Eurorack 8 channel mixer which RCAs out into my camera to record the audio. A little jinky, but I'm making due with limited resources... The PROBLEM is the ipod. Right next to the headphones on my TD 6 I have an 1/8" mix-in (out/thru) jack that damn near does what I want it to do - It plays my music well enough so I can jam along with it BUT it also outputs it into the recording. I've come to the thinking that there has got to be a thrifty way to make this work where I can hear the music and the drums, but only output the drums. Maybe the brain can be programmed to not send out the mix-in? What if I put a headphone splitter in my headphone jack and play my ipod on one end of the splitter? Is that crazy stupid?

Attachments

toddmc

Gold Member
Sorry, don't really have an answer for you but just wondering if you're doing drum videos (covers I presume) why you don't want to hear/record the music as well as your e-drums (or are you just trying to do a "play-along" where you only hear the drums?)

RudeTudeDude

I want to hear the drums while I record, just not record them, then I'll sync up the track after. That way I can ensure I have a balanced mix in post production, as well as set the levels so that they're ideal for playing along to and the edrums get recorded as loud as can be. part of it too is that it's a learning experience so if I allow myself the latitude to have the audio track separate from the drums I can also concentrate on playing with different things as they occur to me. I'm pretty sure I had the right idea with the headphone splitter, they make one that's basically just the opposite of what I originally thought (two 1/8" male connections and one 1/8" female). i didn't go through with it though, I went ahead and just ran my mp3 into one of the channels on the board, had the level way down, and turned up the FX send with the TD6V balanced accordingly to the main output and the FX send. I just listen from the Mixers Control while I Tape Out into my DSLR. Theoretically it should work just fine. I'll know soon enough, I guess. Admittedly it took me WAAAAY to long to get to that point. I remember when Google use to know all the answers to my questions... I dunno if my questions are just too wild, or google is just owned by it's sponsors! But I digress.