"Recording Heavy Drums" tutorial by Glenn Fricker

dtrushr30dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK0YJX2n9lM

Hey guys! I saw this and thought I'd ask your opinions. What are your thoughts on this guy? (Glenn Fricker)
I think he has a bit of an ego (which may be for entertainment purposes), but I don't find his advice to be *that* great. His drum production is mediocre at best, in my opinion, yet so many people are praising him. Am I crazy or do his drums sound kinda harsh and unpleasing to the ear? And what do you think of his advice for setting up a kit? He seems to disregard comfort-ability of the kit in order to achieve more isolation for the mics. While some techniques make sense, it's hard for drummers to completely re-arrange the kit for recording. I'm not so sure about this guy, yet people seem to like what he does.
I'm really curious to hear what you all think - especially those who record drums.

-Jackson

I'm a big fan of Glenn's videos, his attitude might be offputting if he wasn't always right :p and I figure it's a bit of an act, he's a character, which makes it interesting and sets him apart from other tutorials. His drum productions sound fine in his youtube videos, though I haven't given his releases a solid listen.

comfortability isn't completely disregarded, sitting high on the throne, and having flat drums IS comfortable, I hate super low thrones and tilted snares. Recordability is something every drummer needs to consider when setting up their kit, for recording or otherwise, have a recordable setup all the time when practicing, so you're playing the same setup when you DO record. Leave room for mics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK0YJX2n9lM

Hey guys! I saw this and thought I'd ask your opinions. What are your thoughts on this guy? (Glenn Fricker)
I think he has a bit of an ego (which may be for entertainment purposes), but I don't find his advice to be *that* great. His drum production is mediocre at best, in my opinion, yet so many people are praising him. Am I crazy or do his drums sound kinda harsh and unpleasing to the ear? And what do you think of his advice for setting up a kit? He seems to disregard comfort-ability of the kit in order to achieve more isolation for the mics. While some techniques make sense, it's hard for drummers to completely re-arrange the kit for recording. I'm not so sure about this guy, yet people seem to like what he does.
I'm really curious to hear what you all think - especially those who record drums.

-Jackson

I thought it was entertaining, he raises some very salient points. I guess you have to consider who he records, one-dimensional players who know how to play in only one way (loud, fast and hard)...wait, that's three ways! :D

If you want to sound heavier then play simpler and more relaxed.

Back