Recording feedback needed: Vintage Ludwigs and a Guru Snare

R2112

Silver Member
First, forgive the terrible playing. I truly dislike playing alone...my mind immediately thinks of 20 different things to play as soon as I start playing lol. I much prefer getting in the pocket and playing with others. I'll post another video sometime of my actual playing style. With the drums set up for my height and not my 9 year old son's :)

This is my first recording and I'm sure it's obvious that I'm pretty clueless on what I'm doing lol. I wanted to get any feedback from you experts on the recording and how (if) I could get a better sound with what I have. I have a Zoom H2N and a GoPro Hero 4. I plugged the Zoom directly into the GoPro. I set the Zoom about a foot and a half off the floor and about two and a half feet away from the bass but set offset from the bass directly in front of the rack tom. The gain is at almost 2. I tried setting the Zoom above the kit but I just heard lots of cymbals with a little drums. I'm also open to feedback on the best gain settings. I'm just wanting to see if I can get as balanced sound as I can without overpower from the cymbals.

Drums are 1965 Ludwig Super Classic 9 x 13, 14 x 22, 16 x 16 tuned very low. Only muffling in the bass is a small hand towel. G2 coated tops and G1 coated bottoms. 2 moon gels each tom...batter head. Snare is a Guru Santos Rosewood 5.75 x 14 tuned low. G1 coated batter, Hazy 300 reso and no muffling.

Cymbals are all Istanbul Agop. Traditional Dark Crashes 20" and 22". 15" Mantra Hats and a 24" Joey Waronker ride.

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to check it out. :)

https://youtu.be/CUPxn1x2-9o

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Low 'n' loose - I likes it!!! I'm liking your groove feel too :)

TBH Clint, the recording is pretty well balanced. Mic source in front of the kit works well enough. Of course, it could be improved with a 3 mic capture, but with what you have, it's sounding good to me.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
That recording sounds surprisingly good considering the setup. Are you in a fairly large room? I tried this just a few weeks ago with a Blue Yeti in a 14x14 room and the results were a disaster. I like the tuning too. Low, but still well controlled.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I've read good things about the Zoom H2N audio and I guess it's true-the audio sounds great!!!!! Got those toms tuned low and they still carry and cut. I note when I record with a Zoom Q2HD if they aren't tuned higher you can't hear them well-never any rumble. I think the audio with the H2H is better.

R2112

Silver Member
Low 'n' loose - I likes it!!! I'm liking your groove feel too :)

TBH Clint, the recording is pretty well balanced. Mic source in front of the kit works well enough. Of course, it could be improved with a 3 mic capture, but with what you have, it's sounding good to me.
Hey Andy, thanks so much! I wish I could get the snare to sound as amazing as it does live but it seems to not be too bad for the limited sound equipment that I have. I might try playing with the gain a bit more.

R2112

Silver Member
That recording sounds surprisingly good considering the setup. Are you in a fairly large room? I tried this just a few weeks ago with a Blue Yeti in a 14x14 room and the results were a disaster. I like the tuning too. Low, but still well controlled.
Thanks so much for the feedback! The room is a bedroom. Size is around 20' x 14' with 10 foot ceiling. Carpeted floor with furniture. It was pretty much the only free space in the house lol. I've messed with the tuning a lot and in that space the low tuning sounds good to me but it's tricky to get right. Just the slightest bit too low and it sounds flat. I've found that the medium to higher tuning is much more forgiving in that space. I was amazed how much the sound changed with the Zoom as I moved it around. Even just a few inches in any direction caused drastic differences. Huge learning curve for me lol.

R2112

Silver Member
I've read good things about the Zoom H2N audio and I guess it's true-the audio sounds great!!!!! Got those toms tuned low and they still carry and cut. I note when I record with a Zoom Q2HD if they aren't tuned higher you can't hear them well-never any rumble. I think the audio with the H2H is better.
Thanks Grippa! I decided to spend more $ on my drums and gear than sound equipment. Just trying to make the most with what little sound equipment I have. I think Zoom makes a great product. I reviewed a lot of mics and being that I already had a GoPro, the H2N seemed like the best bang for the buck to me. The sound capturing side is a huge learning process lol.

Thanks again for the feedback!

porter

Platinum Member
Sounds great, and I like the playing too!! My only problem with the recording (and it does sound quite good and balanced) is the H2N sounds like it's self-moderating its volume so that the volume of all the instruments is quite inconsistent. I wonder if there's a setting to turn that off – that could make it extremely usable as a recording device I think.

R2112

Silver Member
Sounds great, and I like the playing too!! My only problem with the recording (and it does sound quite good and balanced) is the H2N sounds like it's self-moderating its volume so that the volume of all the instruments is quite inconsistent. I wonder if there's a setting to turn that off – that could make it extremely usable as a recording device I think.
Hey Porter! Thank you! You made a great observation and recommendation. I looked at the manual and there actually are a few different settings. I had it set as a manual gain setting. So, I changed it from manual to auto gain in concert mode. In that mode it automatically sets it for a loud venue. I made a quick recording to see if there was any difference. I know you have a ton of recording experience. Let me know what you think.
Also, do you think I should start a new thread with this new vid or just keep it in this thread? I'm not super well versed on posting edicate lol.

https://youtu.be/ZjyhP8g8XQ4

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I was reading this about the Zoom H2N audio "The H2n Handy Recorder is the only portable recording device to come with five built-in microphones and four different recording modes: X/Y, Mid-Side, 2-channel surround and 4-channel surround. Other advanced features include automatic gain control and onboard MS decoding, plus effects like compression, limiting and low cut filtering. You can even use the H2n as a multi-purpose USB microphone! " All sounds like Greek to me LOL, but sounds like you have a lot to play with-I gather you can control each microphone with the different modes?

R2112

Silver Member
I was reading this about the Zoom H2N audio "The H2n Handy Recorder is the only portable recording device to come with five built-in microphones and four different recording modes: X/Y, Mid-Side, 2-channel surround and 4-channel surround. Other advanced features include automatic gain control and onboard MS decoding, plus effects like compression, limiting and low cut filtering. You can even use the H2n as a multi-purpose USB microphone! " All sounds like Greek to me LOL, but sounds like you have a lot to play with-I gather you can control each microphone with the different modes?
Yes, I wish someone could help me better understand. I was reading that too and thought to myself, "cool...now what the heck does all that mean?!?" lol.

I was able to set the gain to auto concert setting and made another video that I posted in the post above. ^ Not sure if I should have started another thread with that video since it's a new one with different settings.