Recording Custom Bearing Edges

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
What kind of bearing edges are on the Recording custom kits? Standard 45 w/ back cut? I am getting my stage customs leveledand cut. I might as well consider my options if I am going there.

IBitePrettyHard

Thank you. I am kind of surprised by that. Interesting decision to be made on what I do....
I would probably stick with 45 degree edges on the Stage Customs though. (I'm pretty sure all the SC models are 45 degrees?) If Yamaha had thought they sounded better with 30 degree edges, they would've used that.

The Recording Customs are a different animal...with heavy hardware and a different source for Birch wood.

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I would probably stick with 45 degree edges on the Stage Customs though. (I'm pretty sure all the SC models are 45 degrees?) If Yamaha had thought they sounded better with 30 degree edges, they would've used that.

The Recording Customs are a different animal...with heavy hardware and a different source for Birch wood.
I am leaning that way as well. I don't have any issues with the sound. I have heard several examples that sounded stellar. Probably best not to introduce new variables. There are enough already in the recutting process, selecting someone to do it etc. I want to have a word with one more place but precision drum is probably the leader in the clubhouse

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
New or old Recording Customs? Yamaha changed the bearing edge design when the new ones came out.

The old Recording Customs are a double 45 with a rounded apex:

The original Recording Customs were full roundovers.

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
What kind of bearing edges are on the Recording custom kits? Standard 45 w/ back cut? I am getting my stage customs leveledand cut. I might as well consider my options if I am going there.
If you're looking to change the character of your Stage Customs, you might as well try something new in the bearing edge department. Keep in mind if you go with anything too different from the existing edges you'll lose a little more depth.

I've had Precision Drum re-cut edges on several of my kits, and they've always done great work and to my exact specifications. Talk to them about what you're looking for and ask them plenty of questions. They really do know their stuff and I don't think they'd steer you wrong if you ask them for advice.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
If you aren't doing this yourself you are going to spend a good bit of money with cutting and shipping. Is getting a different kit an option? I don't know your kit's story.

notvinnie

motleyh

30 degrees vs 45 degrees on the inside makes no acoustic difference, contrary to some marketing claims. It's the outside cut that determines how the head and shell interact -- and that spec cited earlier indicates an outer roundover, although not a large one.