Recording Critique Please

AndyMC

Just got my recording setup going and wondered if anyone would comment/criticize my sound. I am aware of the minor timing errors at places really looking for sound comments not technique here this is just getting my recordings to sound good before I worry about perfect chops on my cuts. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Attachments

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Andy, what is your recording setup?

Bass drum was very low in the mix. On PC speakers it's difficult to hear, & even on my reference stuff, it's low, although I am getting that lovely open tone. Not much attack on the bass drum, or head/beater slap. I'm not sure if that's your intention.

Toms sound good, & sit about right with the snare in terms of balance. Snare drum was dominant, especially against the bass drum. Sound seemed to concentrate on a tight midrange, with little reso head/wire sound coming through. Cymbals/hats sounded ok, but again, seemed to concentrate on mids.

Please describe your setup, & whether you added any EQ, etc.

AndyMC

I'm running 2 mca sp1's as overheads and have Sm57 on snare and beta 52 on bass. Those are all running into my allen & heath zed14 mixer which mixes down to stereo then I recorded into sonar le. There are no effects and very minor EQing on snare and overheads.

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hey Andy,

Can you post a picture of how you have the mic's setted up? The snare lacks a bit of attack and high frequencies imo and the bassdrum is a bit boxy.
Try to EQ a little bit out at around 400hz, add a bit at 80-90 and a also a bit at 3-5k. This will give it a bit tighter sound and a bit more attack as well.

as Andy said, the Bassdrum is very low in the mix and the snare could be more present compared to the cymbals and toms. Cymbals/Toms seem to be pretty much too loud

Also you did not pan the overheads right? Try to pan them a bit to get a stereo image - everything is on "one point" now (if that makes sense) :)

Looking forward to a picture of your mic setup :)
David

Last edited:

David Floegel

Silver Member
Ah ok, so you're using the Recorderman technique. Did you use the "correct" distances?

I would pan the overheads more left and right and turn them much more down. maybe 6db or something? This will make your toms and cymbals less dominant.
Bassdrum and snare sounded a little better to me but I didn't have time to compare with the first record.

Also I would try to put the snare mic a bit higher and angle it more down to the edge, will give you little bit more snare buzz.
Or you could try to but the mic in front of the rim, like this: http://merithost.net/micedsnare.jpg Only 1-2 inches more away from the rim - that should give more snares too.

Personally i wouldn't place the bassdrum mic direct in the whole. The Bassdrum gets very boomy and you could have problems with air blowing direct into the mic.
Try to put it into the bassdrum, maybe 12"-15" away from batter head. Will give you more click and attack

Good luck!

P.s. Could you upload the single tracks somehow? Would like to try a mix :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Personally i wouldn't place the bassdrum mic direct in the whole. The Bassdrum gets very boomy and you could have problems with air blowing direct into the mic.
Try to put it into the bassdrum, maybe 12"-15" away from batter head. Will give you more click and attack
I agree with this. Not only are you picking up mainly air rush, but the kickport is acting as a shield from picking up the drum's tones. By moving the mic away from the reso head, & preferably pointing it at the reso head at an angle (effectively across the reso head), you're picking up more of the resolved sound from the drum.

Drums produce different bits of their overall sounds from different parts of the drum. Some distance is needed to allow those sound segments to resolve into a single voice.

Re: the snare, as you're using overheads, have you tried recording without a close snare mic? This gives a more open & balanced vibe to the kit IMO, & the method I use live at every gig, no matter how big. It's a choice thing, but again, using the overheads to pick up the snare drum allows the drums total tones to resolve, including the reso head & wires input. Just a thought :)

David Floegel

Silver Member
Re: the snare, as you're using overheads, have you tried recording without a close snare mic? This gives a more open & balanced vibe to the kit IMO, & the method I use live at every gig, no matter how big. It's a choice thing, but again, using the overheads to pick up the snare drum allows the drums total tones to resolve, including the reso head & wires input. Just a thought :)
Depends!
You can still use a close mic just to support the signal from the overheads.
In my opinion you have much more controll over your snaredrum when it comes to mix a drumkit, like compressing, eq'ing and stuff. if you have a very good room it may be pretty cool to get a "perfect" snare sound but if you don't have a good room I think a close mic helps a lot.

If you don't put a low shelving filter on your overheads you still can control all the tiny sounds a snare produce :)

Just my opinion and experience but I'm not an engineer of course!

AndyMC

Thanks KIS and Kalma for helping out so much. I think I'm getting close now, I moved the snare mic to be pointing down towards the rim now and the bass mic is shoved up in there 8 - 10 inches. Brought the overheads gain down a little. Small bass boost on snare and bass as well as a cut from bass at 400hz. Otherwise flat and no effects. Check it out and comment.

Attachments

David Floegel

Silver Member
Sounds a lot better.

Try to reduce about 4db at 800hz at the snare mic, the snare sounds a bit boxy..
And try to move the snare mic a bit more far away from the snare (on the x-axis) to get more snare wires

Also don't forget to pan the mics!

dtrushr30dw

more bass drum, try aiming the mic at the beater to give it more punch.
Snare is a bit hi in the mix for me, but then again different songs call for different mixings...
everything else sounds great.

opentune

Platinum Member
giv'er some bass drum please! it looks mic'ed but doesn't sound mic'ed at all? either move it up in the mix or maybe tune it for more resonance and umph. maybe its choked, or full of pack.
everything else sounds nice.

mrmike

Silver Member
The second clip was a big improvement. Try some different placements with the kick mic like just inside of the kick port, way inside closer to the beater, completely outside a couple of inches away from the reso just off center. Experiment and have fun!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Depends!
You can still use a close mic just to support the signal from the overheads.
In my opinion you have much more controll over your snaredrum when it comes to mix a drumkit, like compressing, eq'ing and stuff. if you have a very good room it may be pretty cool to get a "perfect" snare sound but if you don't have a good room I think a close mic helps a lot.

If you don't put a low shelving filter on your overheads you still can control all the tiny sounds a snare produce :)

Just my opinion and experience but I'm not an engineer of course!
Completely agree with you David, I'm just saying a simple 3 mic capture is an option. It's fun to try out stuff :)

Version 4's much better. Agree on a touch less around 400Hz, but not too much. Bass drum's sounding nice, but for me, needs a lot more level.

Having fun? :) :) :)

David Floegel

Silver Member
Completely agree with you David, I'm just saying a simple 3 mic capture is an option. It's fun to try out stuff :)

Version 4's much better. Agree on a touch less around 400Hz, but not too much. Bass drum's sounding nice, but for me, needs a lot more level.

Having fun? :) :) :)
Got you wrong here, then :)

Excited to hear the next recording test from this guy!

AndyMC

Didn't know I had a following going, here's another clip, switched my musashi for my acrolite and went with a 3 mic approach. Also had to rearrange my set so all mic positions have changed a bit. As always comments and critiques appreciated.

Attachments