Recording bass drum with Yamaha Subkick

steverok

Silver Member
Hi all,

I am about to start recording drums for my new project, and am hoping for a new and improved sound. I previously used an AKG D112 "football" mic, at the mouth of the sound hole on the resonator head, in conjunction with a Shure SM57 on the opposite batter head, next to the kick pedal, outside the drum. I use the Aquarian Super Kick II batter head, and front Aquarian Regulator with 4" soundhole off to the side.

I recently scored a new Yamaha Subkick which is on its way to me now. I plan to use the Subkick like it is pictured, in front of the resonator head, off to the side opposite the port hole. My question is where to put the D112 dynamic mic ? I can't really get it inside the drum very easily at all, not with that small sound hole. Plus, I know if the cable or anything touches any part of the front head, it will deaden the sound of the drum. My two easiest options are keeping it where it was, peeking into the port hole, or, place it against the batter head, by the bass drum pedal, where I previously placed the SM57. I only have enough cables, tracks, etc., for 2 mics on the bass drum. Any experience or tips are mucho appreciado.

Steve-O

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I use a subkick in both live and recording situations, depending on the application. Using a D112 directly in the port hole isn't a great idea anyhow IMO. In that position, it's capturing more air rush than wholesome sound. Place the subkick as you describe, & place the D112 on the batter head in place of your 57. It's a much better mic than the 57 in a batter head application anyhow, & will give you more options on trimming the lower frequencies. Try to avoid EQing the subkick, as it reduces the benefits of having it in the first place. For recording purposes, I'd advise putting the subkick at least 6" from the reso head, as this captures the resolved sound much better. Move it neared for live work to cancel out any unwanted stage rumble, especially from risers.

Hope this helps, Andy.

steverok

Silver Member
I use a subkick in both live and recording situations, depending on the application. Using a D112 directly in the port hole isn't a great idea anyhow IMO. In that position, it's capturing more air rush than wholesome sound. Place the subkick as you describe, & place the D112 on the batter head in place of your 57. It's a much better mic than the 57 in a batter head application anyhow, & will give you more options on trimming the lower frequencies. Try to avoid EQing the subkick, as it reduces the benefits of having it in the first place. For recording purposes, I'd advise putting the subkick at least 6" from the reso head, as this captures the resolved sound much better. Move it neared for live work to cancel out any unwanted stage rumble, especially from risers.

Hope this helps, Andy.
Great advice. I have seen people mic the port hole on YouTube, but I think I agree with you. Do you think the D112 would be better inside the drum, against the batter ? Outside the drum, on the batter, it will pick up underneath the snare, which I could probably use, since I only have 1 snare mic on top. However, I want to go for the best kick sound.

Fuzrock

Silver Member

Hope this helps, Andy.
I was thinking about starting a thread about the Subkick because I am considering getting one. My question is, do you think it is worth the $300+ price tag? Are you glad you got it? Can you really hear that big of a difference when using it?

steverok

Silver Member
Shop around. You may be able to do much better than $300, as I did. From what I heard online (don't have mine yet), it is worth it. I don't know a mic that can get that low end push and rumble, but I'm not the world expert on recording.

Bretton

Silver Member
I've been searching for results on what the sound is like if you were to mount the subkick inside the bass drum, very close to the batter head. Can't seem to find any description, video, or audio.

My perfect kick sound has all the attack of the clicky, triggered extreme metal kick drums, but the pitch of it being down around the bottom range of human hearing. Just an instant of the lowest note you can hear, with space until the next one, so they don't blend together into mud, and I wondered if that could be achieved by using a subkick, internally, mounted close to the batter head.

would you mind trying it and posting the results?

steverok

Silver Member
I've been searching for results on what the sound is like if you were to mount the subkick inside the bass drum, very close to the batter head. Can't seem to find any description, video, or audio.

My perfect kick sound has all the attack of the clicky, triggered extreme metal kick drums, but the pitch of it being down around the bottom range of human hearing. Just an instant of the lowest note you can hear, with space until the next one, so they don't blend together into mud, and I wondered if that could be achieved by using a subkick, internally, mounted close to the batter head.

would you mind trying it and posting the results?
You can't place a Yamaha Subkick inside a bass drum, because it's mounted to a little tri-pod snare type of stand. Also, most people use a ported front head on their kick drums, making it impossible to get one inside the drum.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
You can't place a Yamaha Subkick inside a bass drum, because it's mounted to a little tri-pod snare type of stand. Also, most people use a ported front head on their kick drums, making it impossible to get one inside the drum.

U said?

(ok its not like it ''should'' be, but hey.. its Russ)