Recording band practices.

Pootle

Can anybody recommend a decent but fairly cheap recorder to record band practices. Drums, bass, 2 x guitars, vocals. Doesn't need to be incredible quality or complex, just something to playback and email out to band members afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
There are a lot of small, dual-mic recorders out there that will fit this bill. If all you're looking for is just general recording quality for review, these will do great.
Hit up Amazon & have fun shopping.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a zoom q3hd. It also records video. But it's audio capabilities are pretty nice as far as quality of sound goes. I've used it a lot at rehearsals. I'll take it home and send the songs to other band members via email. We don't get to have rehearsals very often. So this way we can learn the songs a little better with fewer rehearsals

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That Zoom Q2n is cool. I think the mics are better than on my Tascam DR-05. For $150, you can get the Shure MOTIV microphone for your iPhone which also sounds great. I tried the Zoom H6 and although bulky, I think has better mics than the Q2n.

OSDrums

I‘m using a Zoom H5 for this. The bonus for us drummers is it‘s ability to record four tracks at one time and it has two XLR inputs for extra mics. You ca do pretty decent drum recordings with the H5 set up as overheads and additional kick and snare mics. I do that all the time when I only want to record my drums but don’t want to pull out the whole multitrack setup.

Last edited:

TMe

I use a Zoom H1. It's simple to use and probably the least expensive option that works reasonably well.

Pootle

Thanks very much for all your responses, very useful info and I'm going to check these all out. Cheers!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
You could also look into getting a omni-directional USB mic, downloading Reaper on your computer, and record that way.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Not cheap but I used a Presonus StudioLive board and recorded 24 tracks to 44.1/16 bit audio. I had presets for each channel and mixed down our rehearsals within an hour.

The results were excellent, revealing all our gaffs and showing areas of improvement.

But no one ever listened to them. :(

OSDrums

The results were excellent, revealing all our gaffs and showing areas of improvement.
Gone that route also for a while, for normal band practice I found it not worth the effort. On the other hand I try to multitrack our gigs as much as possible, all of our demo stuff is from these gigs. A very basic video quality (mobile phone, cheap camera) in combination with decent sound always works - decent picture with crappy sound never.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
If you only need audio and share through a Dropbox, the zoom H1 is great. And cheap. It can produce mp3 files in good quality. On the other hand there is the Q2n.
I have one. It produces great quality files, but they’re heavy, you’ll need to convert and compress them before any sharing.

OSDrums

Yes, the H1 is probably the cheapest option to record in sufficient quality. It's the only thing it does, MP3 or Wave, restricted user interface, cheap, quick. 2 tracks only, no external inputs.
If it were me to spend money I'd look into the four track models too. They are double the price, but the uses for us drummers multiply with them. The following example was recorded only with the internal XY mics of the H5 and a Beta52a in the kick and a SM57 on the snare. The four tracks recorded on location with the H5 were transferred to the DAW and processed there with EQ and Dynamics and some Reverb:

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yup, I feel you.

I had a Tascam DR-40. I would record EVERY band practice back in the day. Then I would upload the entire file to Reaper. I would cut and splice it up to remove all of the chatter, mix each song, and then upload individual tracks to a Google Drive account we all shared. I spend a couple of hours after each practice doing this so that we could work on our weaknesses. It was a rare occasion that anyone would listen to them. I quit doing it an no one batted an eye.