Recorded drums on a friends' tune.

simmsdn

Silver Member
Not really a drum cover since it's an original song that I recorded for some peeps. I'm playing bass on this as well.

I recorded it in 1080p, but my internet connection sucks (I live in Alabama now) and it would take a week to upload. This is my first attempt at combined video and audio into a product (I spent all my money on recording gear and golf clubs so I used Windows Movie Maker).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8YIm0-WPY

Band is Awakened Soul. http://www.reverbnation.com/awakenedsoul

Drums are late-1970s Ludwig Classics (22/13/16/18 & LM402)
Cymbals are mostly Zildjian (13" K/Z, 20" A Custom Ping, 14/17/18 A Custom Crashes, 18" Armand Crash). Splashes and China are Wuhan (8/8/10 splashes, 19" China).
Mics are Sennheiser e602 (on Kelly Shu), Sennheiser e604, Shure SM57, and Shure PG81.

flicky

Pretty cool. I like when the singer doubles up on the vocals. What software are you running? Are the hats mic'd? Like to hear a better copy.

simmsdn

Silver Member
Pretty cool. I like when the singer doubles up on the vocals. What software are you running? Are the hats mic'd? Like to hear a better copy.

I'm running Sonar 8.3. Guitarist/songwriter is using a Fostex all-in-one system on his end. The guitars are vocals aren't the highest quality because of it, but it's good enough. It's equal to studio quality from 20 years ago, so I can live with it.

Hats aren't mic'd up. I've mic'd them before...I still could if I wanted to or really needed to. I keep the overhead condensers pretty low, on my left, the mic is about 3' higher than it would be if it were just on the hats so it also gets the crashes and splashes on that side.

Sound quality is a little poor here...wav to mp3, then added to video and compressed several times prior to upload.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I'm not a fan of this style of music, but it came together pretty well. I would have done some things differently, such as adding a few embellishments here and there, but I feel like that wouldn't have been within the boundaries of the style. What you played was wise and fit the music.

simmsdn

Silver Member
I'm not a fan of this style of music, but it came together pretty well. I would have done some things differently, such as adding a few embellishments here and there, but I feel like that wouldn't have been within the boundaries of the style. What you played was wise and fit the music.

Funny you say it that way because initially I did have more in there, but toned it down. After listening a few times, this song is about the vocal melody, and throwing those additional embellishments (some small fills on toms and cymbal hits) took focus away from the song as a whole.

When I was 18 I would have left those fills in the song and told the guitarist and singer to deal with it.

flicky

Thanks, i'm also using Sonar 8.3... Was going to upgrade to Sonar X1 but decided against it. Sonar is great! Do you by any chance know Jason Rash from montgomery?

simmsdn

Silver Member
Thanks, i'm also using Sonar 8.3... Was going to upgrade to Sonar X1 but decided against it. Sonar is great! Do you by any chance know Jason Rash from montgomery?

I just moved here and will only be in Montgomery area for another 11 months (I'm in the Army and am going to an Air Force school at Maxwell AFB).

Sonar X1 is great if you have a quad core processor with 8GB DDR3 RAM. It is very resource hungry. 8.3 does everything I need it to do, it doesn't cost $500, and I don't need a new computer.

flicky

Thought i'd ask. That's the reason I didn't do the upgrade also but may still go to 8.5. It's supposed to run better than 8.3. Good luck at Maxwell. There used to be some decent places to go see live bands in Montgomery.