Recommended Reading for Recording

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Over the years I’ve taken out a few dozen books on recording, and there are a few I’ve purchased for permanent reference and/or how to.

Since recent questions about recording have come up, I thought this might help.

The Recording Engineer's Handbook

The Drum Recording Handbook

The Mixing Engineer's Handbook

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio*

Mastering Audio, Third Edition: The Art and the Science*

*The material provided in these last two books had the most beneficial impact on my recording, mixing & “mastering” endeavors.

5835C092-945B-4186-B0EA-6B530A9F0D2D.jpeg

The Musician's Guide to Home Recording is a good book, especially for beginners, to learn about mic placement, EQ treatment, frequency shelving, mixing, etc. It doesn't get too technical or go too deep, but it's a great overview, not just for recording drums, but for getting a grasp of the whole picture--like, how the drum recording will fit into a final mix. It's a good prerequisite reading to Modern Recording Techniques.

I was just coming here to say this. :)

As a recording newbie Tape Op may have been the single most useful resource for me, besides my ears. The older issues, especially (archived at the website) had a lot of useful tips and info, but the new ones are still useful.
They will send you print issues for a free subscription, every new issue is free on the website, and the site also has extra content that didn't get into the print issue. tapeop.com
I gave up on magazines long ago, but my TapeOp back issues are saved and shelved with intent.

Over the years I’ve taken out a few dozen books on recording, and there are a few I’ve purchased for permanent reference and/or how to.

Since recent questions about recording have come up, I thought this might help.

The Recording Engineer's Handbook

The Drum Recording Handbook

The Mixing Engineer's Handbook

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio*

Mastering Audio, Third Edition: The Art and the Science*

*The material provided in these last two books had the most beneficial impact on my recording, mixing & “mastering” endeavors.

View attachment 98476
I finally bought the two handbooks, the recoding engineer's one and the mixing one, they are awesome, thanks a lot cbphoto, with all the articles I found online, saved and printed for the most part, I have two big 3" folders labeled by topics, recoding, Mixing, mics, drums recoding etc... I should be ready to go to record my first drums kit, just need to install the ceiling cloud and the last diffusers.

Back