Recommended heads for Sonor Players 20x12 kick drum

I just got a used Sonor Players kit and am having a difficult time getting a good, thumpy bass sound from the 20"x12" kick and a hard felt beater. The batter is an Aquarian Super Kick III and the reso is a stock ported head with a thin plastic dampening ring. I get a "thump" with a bit of sustain, but it just sounds weak and I want something I can hammer for blues and rock. I used to have a cheap 20"x16" Mapex bass drum with basic heads+pillow and was happy enough with the sound. So I don't know if my problem is the drum's shallowness or the heads. Any suggestions @larryace or @newoldie? You mentioned being happy with this kick drum in previous posts.

opentune

Platinum Member
Remove Superkick - without a doubt the most muted head out there. It is killing your tone, especially for a smaller bass drum.

Superkick is ok for a big deep open empty bass drum, but not yours.

Remo PS3 or EMAD ......and for even more tone, a Ambassador with a felt strip.

Reactions: iCe

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
IMO, to get the most from any bass drum, a full front head is key. Especially with a small 20" x 12 bass drum. You should give the suggestion a chance if you are initially averse to it. Full front heads allow the drum to reach it's full potential considering volume and especially overall bass tone.

However, burying the beater on a full front head...can be problematic because of the multiple bounce thing. If you bury, you'd likely have to change your BD technique for a full front head. So there's that. IMO rebounding gets the most punch and bass response out of any bass drum. It's an important consideration. Maybe a DW reso head with the pinholes, that could be a compromise. I like the bass drum reso tight tight tight, so it says BOING! Counterintuitive. Batter, JAJAW. To move maximum air without being flappy.

I concur with opentune about the Aquarian batter. I'd replace it with an Emad 1, since you personally asked, only because that's what sounds best to me. Run that sucker wide open, no muffling. If you like it, great. If not, I have nothing. If you are micing, it doesn't matter, whatever makes you happy. For live acoustic with no mics, run wide open, don't muffle in any way and fully rebound the beater

Last edited:

newoldie

Silver Member
Remove Superkick - without a doubt the most muted head out there. It is killing your tone, especially for a smaller bass drum.

Superkick is ok for a big deep open empty bass drum, but not yours.

Remo PS3 or EMAD ......and for even more tone, a Ambassador with a felt strip.
Absolutely this. Superkick is too muted. I've used the Players kit for Blues and Rock with a Remo PS3 for the batter and a ported PS3 resonant with good results.

iCe

There are few comparison videos around, i suggest listening to them and figure out what head fits the sound you have in your head. Obviously a different bass drum, but if you listening closely you can hear the difference between each heads and image how it sounds on your kit.

Remo

Evans

Personally i favor Remo heads and eventually settled on clear Pinstripes on my bass drums. I love the controlled thud with a great 'kick' sound, without sounding too muffled like the coated EMAD i had before. Clear Pinstripe is something if you want a very defined kick sound when you do a lot of double bass. PS3 or even a clear Emperor would do nicely for you i think.

Thanks everyone. I got an EMAD1 batter and it sounds waaaaaay better. And thanks for the video @iCe, I've never tried pinstripes but may try them out. I think I'm going to be using this kit for a long time.

Reactions: iCe