Recommendations on buying a used kit? ($250-$350)

Tob

Hi drummerworld! New member here, hope I'm posting in the right spot.

I'm looking for advice on buying a used electronic kit for somewhere around $300. I'm teaching my cousin to play drums, and he needs a beginner (cheap but still full-size) kit to get started on. I've always played acoustic, so I know next to nothing about using or buying electronic kits.

I would appreciate any tips for which brands and models to watch for and which to avoid, what to look for when buying a used electronic kit, and any red flags that would turn you away from one. Thanks!

KamaK

Platinum Member
In the $300 area, you're looking for a used Yamaha DTX-5XX or Roland TD-10 area. Make sure you get at least one real(istic) pad.

Reactions: Tob

Tob

Got it. What about Alesis? I see plenty of their stuff on facebook marketplace. I know a couple years ago, when I first heard of them, they were known for defective kits and overall bad quality. Has that changed at all?

Tob

I keep seeing Simmons kits, never heard of them. Are those known for good quality or should I avoid those?

KamaK

Platinum Member
I keep seeing Simmons kits, never heard of them. Are those known for good quality or should I avoid those?
Just so there's no confusion, I will simplify things with an overstatement. There are exceptions and other custom building options, etc, but for all intents and purposes......

Everything on the market sucks except for Yamaha and Roland.

FWIW, I have a DTX532 that I occasionally toss on CL for $500. If you didn't live 1000 miles away, and showed up with $400 cash, it would be yours. Unfortunately, these things cost about $250 to ship. You just need to be patient until someone in your area wants to unload theirs.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Found this listing on Facebook. It’s about the only one I saw that is not Alesis or Simmons and is in the price range. Is this a good deal, Yamaha DTX 430K for $350?
You want one series up, DTX-5XX.

You want AT LEAST ONE non-hard-rubber-pad (Silicone in Yamaha's case, Mesh in the case of Roland). Hard rubber pads are not something that you want to work on 100% of the time, and you certainly don't want to practice rudiments on them as they'll hurt your hands if practice durations are long.

I 'think' you can upgrade to a silicon pad on the DTX-4XX series, but would want to consult the manual or pre-sales support first.

electrodrummer

I keep seeing Simmons kits, never heard of them
..meanwhile, in 1981....

(Today's Simmons, isn't the same, though. When Simmons went under, Guitar Center bought the name and stuck it on cheapo ekits, much to the chagrin of Dave Simmons.)

Kimm

I'm looking for advice on buying a used electronic kit for somewhere around $300. I'm teaching my cousin to play drums, and he needs a beginner (cheap but still full-size) kit to get started on. I've always played acoustic, so I know next to nothing about using or buying electronic kits.

I would appreciate any tips for which brands and models to watch for and which to avoid, what to look for when buying a used electronic kit, and any red flags that would turn you away from one. Thanks!

Hi Tob,

If you're still looking for an E-kit. I can say I purchased an Alesis Surg kit to learn on. I've had it 19 months and have had no problems.
It's been a great learning kit with mesh heads that feel similar to acoustic heads. I purchased a new kit just because I know electronic can have problems as they are used or get old. Even the Alesis nitro the baseline kit would be in that price range. hope you find what your looking for.

electrodrummer

I know electronic can have problems as they are used or get old....
Nope. Still got working edrum gear from 1980. Stuff in my avatar is from 1986 and still works fine. As long as you buy something of a reasonable quality to start with it'll last years :cool: