Recommendations for re-cutting bearing edges.

The Scorpio

I love my old 60's Ludwig kit, but the bearing edges need work. There are dips and flat spots, which makes them difficult to tune at times. Taking some extra time to seat the heads really well has helped a lot, but they definitely need to be re-cut (or filled in? is that possible?)

I would like to retain the stock ludwig bearing edge profile, but I do not even want to attempt to do this kind of work myself. I live in the U.S.A., and I'd prefer not to have to Fed-Ex my kit (I live in South Georgia) but if I have to so be it. Does any one have any recommendations for a company or person who could re-cut my bearing edges? Also if you don't know anyone, but you know someone here on the forum that could help me, please leave their name and I'll contact them.

Thanks!

Kyle

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've had Precision Drum re-cut edges on several of my drums, and their results were nothing short of outstanding. They also did the work extremely quickly, I think the turn around time was about a week.

single-ply

I picked up a '66 Ludwig Super classic with absolutely horrible edges. It was unplayable as-is. The jazz fest snare actually looked like someone took some kind of chisel to the edges!

I sent all the shells to Precision also. Normally, they will put on a modern 45º edge, but if you ask, they will re-create the original factory profile.

All of the drums now sound fantastic. Luckily, the snare was originally a 5.5" shell. To get the edges right, it is now a 5", but sounds great.

Not maybe the cheapest route to go with the cost of shipping both ways, but very worth it if you're planning on keeping the drums.

Good luck!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Ludwigs are renowned for crap bearing edges, it adds to their character.

I'd go for a really rounded bearing edge so you don't lose that vintage sound.

You have the right idea getting someone who knows their arse from their elbow to do it.

It's an art form to see someone cut bearing edges properly and until you've tried it yourself you don't appreciate how hard it is!

The Scorpio

Thanks for all of your quick responses guys!

I picked up a '66 Ludwig Super classic with absolutely horrible edges. It was unplayable as-is. The jazz fest snare actually looked like someone took some kind of chisel to the edges!

I sent all the shells to Precision also. Normally, they will put on a modern 45º edge, but if you ask, they will re-create the original factory profile.

All of the drums now sound fantastic. Luckily, the snare was originally a 5.5" shell. To get the edges right, it is now a 5", but sounds great.

Not maybe the cheapest route to go with the cost of shipping both ways, but very worth it if you're planning on keeping the drums.

Good luck!

Once you got your shells back from Precision, did you repaint the shells? Mine have that white paint inside.

WallyY

Platinum Member
If you decide to ship them, I'll throw my vote in for Precision. They trued and cut four of my drums and they were all perfect.
I removed all the hardware and nested all the shells, nicely packaged inside a padded floor tom case and that was inside a box.

They will remove the absolute minimum amount of wood.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
If you decide to ship them, I'll throw my vote in for Precision. They trued and cut four of my drums and they were all perfect.
I removed all the hardware and nested all the shells, nicely packaged inside a padded floor tom case and that was inside a box.

They will remove the absolute minimum amount of wood.

When you say they trued them, you just mean that the edges are now perfectly flat and consistent, right? Not that they actually put out-of-round shells back into round, right?

WallyY

Platinum Member
Yes. They just flattened and edged them.
Drums like steam bent varieties can also be made round again, but from what I hear, it takes a very long time strapped in a turnbuckle. I don't think a ply drum can be made round if it's out. I had a 10" drum that I had in a case for about five years and when I took it out and looked at it, it was out of round because I had it out of tune. I took the head off and the drum sprang back into round, even after five or so years.
I thought they were sounding just fine when I sent them in, but they had a bunch of dented edges that I figured I should have them taken care of while I was overhauling the drums.

They called to say the drums were not flat and wanted to know what kind of edges I wanted.
I went with the original edges and they copied them perfectly.

I can't really tell a difference in sound from before I sent them in. They sounded very good even with less than perfect edges. Like movie drums.

single-ply

Thanks for all of your quick responses guys!

Once you got your shells back from Precision, did you repaint the shells? Mine have that white paint inside.

No. They were careful not to remove paint except where they modified the bearing edge. Most of the re-rings still have the original paint intact.

eamesuser

Silver Member
I am in the Atlanta area and don't know of anyone local,however I just got in contact with Rob Kampa of Magstar drums,I am going to have him re cut my vintage Rogers Kit,he also owns World Max and is building drums for the newly resurrected Wahlberg and Auge,he still does bearing edges also,and comes highly recommended,he is based in Nashville TN,so not as expensive to ship to/from the southeast.If anyone wants his contact info please PM me.