Recommendations for (non-BD) tom mounts?

Mastiff

I may be shortly looking for the best way to mount 8, 10 and 12" toms (without any bass drum mounts). Any recommendations on what you like? I have some sturdy DW cymbal stands I could go off of, but I'm open to whatever. This will be a fixed setup, so I'm after sturdiness and flexibility, and don't care about weight.

A J

I like heavy Yamaha tom stands coupled with Pearl tom arms. They're both 7/8" pipes, so are easily interchangeable.

Mastiff

Rack is an interesting idea. Kind of a bummer when I have so much other good hardware already, but maybe best in the long run. Does it end up increasing positioning options in the end? I'm really interested in getting my toms right where I want them (and flatter) after fighting with the bass drum mounted toms on the current kit.

petrez

I would go with a rack in your situation, given that you will have it mostly in one place, fixed. I have been gigging with a rack, it's doable but take up more space in the car, and is usually more of an ordeal to set up and tear down. Takes up way less floorspace than stands though, which can be a big plus. The Gibraltar rack has been my choice, I guess Pearl racks are more sturdy with it's square pipes, but Gibraltar looks better (for a rack) and I find them to be sturdy as long as you use memory locks. Easy to find parts for it as well. I have the curved vertical posts version myself, uncertain if they still make them, but adds a bit more style to them, IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_000348_990.jpg
    IMG_20210713_000348_990.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 11

harryconway

Platinum Member
This will be a fixed setup, so I'm after sturdiness and flexibility, and don't care about weight.
I'd go rack then. On a typical set, even if you hang one tom off the cymbal stand right of the bass drum (the 12), and the 8 and 10 off the left cymbal stand ...... you've got the tripod legs dictating position. Maybe those positions work for you, maybe they don't. I currently use the Yamaha hex rack, when I get to that point where stands ain't cuttin' it.;)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Rack is an interesting idea. Kind of a bummer when I have so much other good hardware already, but maybe best in the long run. Does it end up increasing positioning options in the end? I'm really interested in getting my toms right where I want them (and flatter) after fighting with the bass drum mounted toms on the current kit.
Whatever rack you potentially may choose probably has clamps that will utilize the current hardware you have. Just store the tripods and use the tops. The tom mounts wont be a problem either.

As for tom placement, as long as the rack clears the kick you can place it anywhere you want. No reason the toms can't be closer or farther as needed.

Frosticles

Silver Member
As others have said, If the kit is going to be permanently in situ then a rack is perfect. Pearl, Gibraltar etc will do fine :)

drumnut87

if you're UK based i have a 3 sided rack and multiple clamps for sale if you're interested :)

cbphoto

Gold Member
Three up? Get a rack.

gavinharrison550.jpg

Mastiff

Looks like there's a run on Gibraltar racks or something. Nobody has them except at 2x normal price.

Any thoughts on the DW? It would be cool to match my existing hardware, but the DW gets a premium price. Also, I haven't been able to find hex arm tom mounts to fit my new toms (Sonor kit on order).

1627140817982.png

Darth Vater

I may be shortly looking for the best way to mount 8, 10 and 12" toms (without any bass drum mounts). Any recommendations on what you like? I have some sturdy DW cymbal stands I could go off of, but I'm open to whatever. This will be a fixed setup, so I'm after sturdiness and flexibility, and don't care about weight.
What kind of drums/tom mounts are we talking about here?

dkerwood

Silver Member
It's been a few years since I've used a Pearl rack - can the newest ones adjust up and down? Otherwise, I really liked my Gibraltar rack back in the day, but MAN the Pearl was so much easier to set up and tear down.

The biggest challenge I had with the round bars is that they would rotate, particularly during setup. I got mine used, so I didn't have a ton of memory locks, so every time the curved horizontal bar would clamp in a slightly different spot. The slight bit of rotation would end up with a cymbal being 3 inches further up or down, which resulted in a lot of tweaking once everything was up. I was a poor college kid, so extra memory locks weren't really in the cards.

That said, it was quite nice (albeit heavy and not at all flexible on a gig to gig basis). It really spoiled me in terms of tom and cymbal placement. It took a lot of work and extension arms to duplicate that setup later with stands on another kit. Ultimately, I only abandoned it because I wanted the flexibility to tailor my setup to the gig. If I was leaving the whole thing at home, it would almost certainly be on a rack.

Ransan

I used a Gibraltar 3 sided curved rack for almost 7 years early on, because it looked cool.

CFFE0A21-49EE-4127-989E-C3B0C2B5B1ED.jpeg

I now find that the stands give me WAY more flexibility. Mainly, I can laterally lower my toms, I’m not hindered by the rack over the kick as the floor.

2EFB4E65-E5AE-4086-B3E6-7C98788319F9.jpeg
D2D8AE06-9D4D-4A99-B0C2-82DAEAEE66EF.jpeg

For that, you can either stay with DW, or I would seriously look at Pearl mounting options.

Specifically, the BC 1030 cymbal stand will do, it has Gyro Lock technology, and is heavy duty, note above, nearest stand cluster, the 2 additional TL 2030 cymbal hold adapters mounting splashes (just saw Gibraltar is also making these now 🥱) the last is a CH 70 to mount the 10” splash more remotely.

If your really heavy duty, you can go to the BC 2030, a traditional weighted boom, and has an additional pull out knurled feature for accessories (see lower pick). I use the 2030 to rack my 12” and 13”.

Pearl has the ADP 30 which is the tri mounting bracket used on my 8” and 10” above, as well as several 2 way singular mounting options, I’m using the ADP 20 for the 12”, holds fast and easy. I have another ADP 30 two rack the heavier toms, holds the 12” and 13” with ease.

11166A1D-23FA-427F-84ED-6A2D4C8E4626.jpeg
FC522957-C73E-481C-9484-665D91EE88A6.jpeg

I have a pics about the forum as well, where I’m using minimalist footprint via stands (4) to hold up 4 toms and roughly 6-7 cymbals.

2 BC 2030s would come close to the price of a 3 sided rack, accessories are open ended though you will have leeway with what already comes with a rack, so there’s that consideration.

Last edited:

KEEF

Racks are great -For a three up non moving kit it's a no brainer!
Think outside the box and create your own. Once you've got the basics, individual pipes are cheap so you can cut them down without fear, and there's so many mounting/joining options. (I love Gavin Harrisons design with the 'bent' main legs btw. )
Here's my stealth set up, pic 1 - mix and mash of Gibralter parts and cut downs from a full DW rack -pic 2 -that I had when I was young enough to lug a big kit about.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG
    511.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20121117_122341.jpg
    20121117_122341.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 6