Recommendations for a budget edrum kit to record as MIDI

bunnyrabbit

Dear drummers!

Just to give more insight:
  • I would call myself an intermediate drummer and I have been playing drums for about 2 years. Throughout these years I've only been playing in my acoustic drum set at home, but unfortunately, since I'm a university student I do not have much time to practice since I can't bring it with me.
  • The only experience I had with electronic drum sets was one of those tabletop drum sets, which I bought before actually buying an acoustic drum kit. (On a side note, I've tried many different electronic drum sets in music stores and had a blast in all of them, unfortunately, they all were way above my budget).
  • My friends and I are thinking of building a mini home studio in one of our apartments, and in order to be able to play drums in my apartment, and to transport my drum set back and forth (in order to practice and get more ideas at home), I was looking forward in getting a compact, yet good enough cheap electronic drum set to jam and record.
  • My budget is between 200-250/300€ (if the extra money is really worth it).
Since cheap edrums tend not to have the best sound quality, I was thinking in directly using it as a MIDI and play/record through a VST plugin. I am kinda new to all this, but I've done a tone of research in order to better understand how the world of recording electronic drums works. I know the budget is extremely low but I hope that all of you understand that my financial status isn't the best at the moment. :)

So the question is: What electronic drum set should fit best regarding my needs? Will a cheap drum set affect my recordings if I am using a VST plugin to get a better quality sound?

If there's a key point that I am missing out on, please let me know!
Thank you all in advance!!!

Nick74

You can buy nearly the cheapest Medeli eDrum kit and you can record midi. But please forget about realtime softwaredrumming with your budget: you'll need low latency so you'll need a fast midi controller (Roland module/e-Kit; the Medeli/Alesis modules are quite lame!), a fast audio device (at least sth like Steinberg UR) and a powerful CPU (I recommend a good i7).;)

bunnyrabbit

You can buy nearly the cheapest Medeli eDrum kit and you can record midi. But please forget about realtime softwaredrumming with your budget: you'll need low latency so you'll need a fast midi controller (Roland module/e-Kit; the Medeli/Alesis modules are quite lame!), a fast audio device (at least sth like Steinberg UR) and a powerful CPU (I recommend a good i7).;)
Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, I've noticed that latency will be an issue :( But thanks for the recommendations!!

bunnyrabbit

Secondhand Yamaha or Roland from your local eBay, Gumtree, etc .don't know where you are - you didn't say. Europe somewhere?
Sorry, forgot to mention. But as fl.tom said, I'm from Portugal. The thing is that people here tend to sell their used edrum kits near the retail price... But I will keep an eye out for any secondhand Yamaha or Roland edrum kits for a reasonable price! Thanks!