Recommendations for a Bop Kit Purchase

erlomaca

Hi people, I'm new here.

What do you recommend?

Sonor AQ2 Bop, Yamaha Stage Custom Bop or a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz (or some other option in the same price range).

I've been playing a Premier Cabría for the past 13 years and I want to know some of your experiences with the options above, the pros and cons, anything would help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Here we go again with the Bassdrum-lug nonsense... :rolleyes:

That said, the Catalina is nice but the worst built quality out of those listed.

Basic question, do you want an 18 or 16 or 20 inch bassdrum?

That said, the Catalina is nice but the worst built quality out of those listed.

christ, just leave it be, you don't always have to say something.

So you live in Mexico: I'll quote myself from another post..
Yes, that's what I meant. Sites like these:
I'd always start by looking locally. Maybe you can look there and post some sets that are in your area (and within your budget) and then we can recommend what the best deal is. Drums haven't changed dramatically over the last few decades. Sure, there are new mounting systems and so on but for your first set, I'd look for something not too expensive and sturdy. Play it for a couple of years and when you know exactly what you need, sell the set locally and get most of your money back = rented set for free. :)
This site is a great summary when it comes to buying used drums and cymbals:
Look for some small sets that you could pick up locally and post them here to get more advice. I've heard that the new Catalinas are better than the old ones but the old model I know is pretty fragile and a bit dull sounding. On the plus side, it's very light.
And yeah, 6 lugs on an 18" wouldn't bother me.
Other options in that price range: old Made in England Premiers, Gretsch Renown.

Pros for the Yamaha:
  • Birch shells sound great to me
  • The 18" BD booms with the right heads and I've filled big halls with it mic'd right
  • Travels easy
  • Has good hardware
  • Very inexpensive to add more drums from the same series in the future

I have played the Sonor bop kits in very small bass drum sizes. My bandmates loved how the kit sounded. The Sonor is built extremely well - much better than Gretsch. But it's also surprisingly heavy for a bop sized kit.

DW Frequent Flyer is another option. I'm playing one right now. It's as well built as the Sonor but much lighter and easier to move around. I also prefer the sound too the DW FF it's a tad more musical. I got mine used for a very low price.

Both the Sonor and DW kits are pro-level quality you could take and tour around the world.

There are also several Canopus Yaiba bop size kits at sale prices right now. Around $1,600 US dollars. They are superior to all of these.

If I had to obtain a bop kit, I'd probably look for a used Gretsch Renown in the $800 area, or a used Gretsch USA in the $1100 area.

I couldn't justify spending >$500 on an economy line.

I'd check out this channel and go from there. These guys specialize in bop kits and bop tunings.

Hi, thanks for your response, I want an 18 or smaller bass drum

The Pearl Midtown is very well built, affordable, and sounds fantastic. Dont count it out just because it doesnt cost $1000+. Its a quality instrument.

If I had to obtain a bop kit, I'd probably look for a used Gretsch Renown in the $800 area, or a used Gretsch USA in the $1100 area.

I couldn't justify spending >$500 on an economy line.

Thanks for your response, I don't have that amount to spend, but what is your opinion on a Martini kit?

@erlomaca Don't know if your question above is just for KamaK or not, but my two cents is that a martini kit limits you as I view it as a specialty instrument. It will be super easy to bring around, but will you be okay with just that register of voice? When it comes down to it, a good drummer can make a cajon sound amazing - or just a kick/snare/hats setup. But if you want the broader instrument just with a smaller footprint, I'd stick to getting a bop kit.

Thanks for your response, I don't have that amount to spend, but what is your opinion on a Martini kit?

Martini kits fill a niche where space is severely constrained. Professionally, I've seen them used primarily as cafe' kits and and pit kits. I imagine they are also fine as trap-kits for practice. I cannot imagine that their sound is highly sought by anyone.

Hi, thanks for your response, I want an 18 or smaller bass drum
There is a HUGE difference between an 18 and a 16 kick. So make that decision first.
Consider the new Sonor AQX with the 18 inch kick drum. I've seen it advertised for US$459. I have the predecessor kit (Bop SE) and have been very pleased with it. If your budget is higher, the Gretsch Renown is certainly worth a look.

When we are talking about 18" bassdrums, and buying new with limited budget, I would get a Pearl Midtown or Yamaha Stage Custom Bop. A PDP New Yorker is also a pretty good choice, albeit the construction is a tad below the Yamaha and Pearl. The pros for the Yamaha were already mentioned. If buying used, I would also look out for a Tama Silverstar Bop or a Sonor Safari. The Sonor AQ2 is not bad but Sonor hardware is - just my humble opinion - sometimes a bit unergonomic. But the drums are solid. The Gretsch sounds nice but has at times (had) serious issues with bearing edges not being cut properly and the softer, more porous wood makes it hard to recut them properly. Futhermore, the Snaredrum is sadly a bust. (But the Gretsch is the pretty, indeed)

All 3 kits are great, but I think the Gretsch Catalina Bop has the richest and most pleasing tone.

The hardware is not quite as good as the other 2 kits, but the sound makes up for it IMO.

Futhermore, the Snaredrum is sadly a bust. (But the Gretsch is the pretty, indeed)
Which of the Gretsch snares is a bust? I have a new Renown that I like a lot. Is there some issue with them?

Welcome the forum. We hope you enjoy your time here and are able to decipher the myriad opinions of your fellow forum members.

My opinion is to get a great kit in bop sizes, not a so-so kit “designed” for bop.

8D5F7967-B74C-4447-93E4-CDBDDF26B6BC.jpeg

Sonor AQ2 Bop, Yamaha Stage Custom Bop or a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz (or some other option in the same price range).
From your list .... I would pick the Sonor AQ2. Not on your list, I would go with the PDP Concept Maple. I'm just a sucker for maple. I have an RMV (Bapeva maple shell - you probably will never find one of those) ..... and in the price range you're looking at ..... Sonor or PDP.

I did have a Yamaha 9000 series bop kit (all birch). Nice kit. Maybe a great kit. Sold it. Currently have an 18" Yamaha Stage Custom bass drum. OK drum. Just doesn't stir my soul like a maple shell.

Back