Recommendations for a Bop Kit Purchase

prokofi5

Just a thought, but if that's an older premier, I'm not sure any of those kits is going to be a upgrade. Of all the new kits mentioned here I've had a catalina club jazz and a midtown and in my opinion the pearl is way better than the gretsch. You get a lot for your money with pearl. But unless I specifically needed a second kit, if I had an old cabria and money to burn I'd be looking at cymbals or pedals or recording gear as opposed to a lateral move on a kit.

brushes

Which of the Gretsch snares is a bust? I have a new Renown that I like a lot. Is there some issue with them?
The Catalina snare has a rather low tuning range, hardware that is not really what you'd call "solid" and ... it has no snarebed! Everyone I know swapped the Catalina snaredrum immediately for something better. The other Gretsch-snaredrums are good but the Catalina... well... not really. There are definitely better snaredrums available that don't cost much more. (e.g. the Stage-Custom snaredrum or the 14x6.5 Superstar Classic snaredrum, to name just two examples)

wildbill

Platinum Member
They're not available yet, but as Sakae says, the new Sonor AQX bop kit could be a lower budget solution:

Last edited:

vyacheslav

They're not available yet, but as Sakae says, the new Sonor AQX bop kit could be a lower budget solution:

Those look very nice. This bit has me confused, though:

"Additionally, the Sonor AQX Jazz comes equipped with the lug-contacting SmartMount tom and cymbal mounting system. This unique design prevents direct shell contact to maximize resonance and sustain."

Ummm,, that sure looks like a direct-to-shell mount to me. (Sorry, I can't attached a photo..photos will only save as a webpage from Sweetwater).

Artstar

Platinum Member
Those look very nice. This bit has me confused, though:

"Additionally, the Sonor AQX Jazz comes equipped with the lug-contacting SmartMount tom and cymbal mounting system. This unique design prevents direct shell contact to maximize resonance and sustain."

Ummm,, that sure looks like a direct-to-shell mount to me. (Sorry, I can't attached a photo..photos will only save as a webpage from Sweetwater).
Yep.. I agree........ and it's likely their marketing people screwed up with info from the AQ2.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I've been looking at Bop size kits-I was leaning really heavily towards a Renown in bop sizes (I think I should stick with this notion but hell I've been jumping around listening to videos-which help and confuse me). It's like two angels on my shoulders telling me different things-both are demons LOL. All of the Bop kits sound pretty good except for some reason the 18 in kick often sounds wimpy on a lot of recordings-I love a 16 in and it has more oomphs that most 18 it seems-it may tuning or recording but just an impression. They Yaiba bass drum sounds great to my ears-so does the SONOR AQ2 kick, the. PDP with the wood hoops looks really appealing-nice and warm sounding-and isn't to loud for home or small venues. I haven't really looked at Pearl Roadshow but I think they are poplar-I'd rather have maple or birch. I don't want a Yamaha drum kit-I'd rather have a pickle and a ride on my motorcycle. I've got a SONOR Safari-16/10/14 it's poplar and a great lil kit-I love it. But you can really hear the difference in tone between poplar compare to birch or maple that I consider more tone woods. The poplar is cheaper if it's a beater kit-which is why I bought the Safari. Even if it's not NA maple the "asian maple" sounds really good. We never notice lesser grades of birch-but if you listen to a Kumu kit it will blow you away compared to SONOR, etc.

Last edited:

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Which recordings with an 18" kick sound wimpy? I wanna check them out.

I've been looking at Bop size kits-I was leaning really heavily towards a Renown in bop sizes (I think I should stick with this notion but hell I've been jumping around listening to videos-which help and confuse me). It's like two angels on my shoulders telling me different things-both are demons LOL. All of the Bop kits sound pretty good except for some reason the 18 in kick often sounds wimpy on a lot of recordings-I love a 16 in and it has more oomphs that most 18 it seems-it may tuning or recording but just an impression. They Yaiba bass drum sounds great to my ears-so does the SONOR AQ2 kick, the. PDP with the wood hoops looks really appealing-nice and warm sounding-and isn't to loud for home or small venues. I haven't really looked at Pearl Roadshow but I think they are poplar-I'd rather have maple or birch. I don't want a Yamaha drum kit-I'd rather have a pickle and a ride on my motorcycle.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I look for people's recordings so here is one of a fella opening at end he plays it.
Here is a video of excellent playing-the toms and kit sound great-damn sizzling playing, and I know he's not hammering the bass drum but I can't hear the bass for squat. Maybe it is just bop tuning and just light playing used in some jazz settings.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The PDP Classic Bop always looked and sounded really nice to me, and can be had for around 700 bucks and sometimes even less.

1610874679158.png
1610874348896.png