Recommend some cymbals

Frostilicus

So I've been playing 3 and a bit years; my first cymbal set was Zildjian Titanium - I naively believed that the brand name would not let me down, but the cymbals are shocking. Far too bright and ringy - not too bad for gigs, but they just ruin recording. So, not wanting to get burnt twice, I'm up for two good crashes, a 10" splash, a ride and hi-hats. I'd prefer a set but it's not necessary.

Music: prog rock / metal and/or indie rock.
Price: no more than £400 / $700

Kamikazee89

It really depends on what sound you are wanting to achieve. For me personally I enjoy a more "woody, warm" vintage tone, so I use Paiste Giant Beats. But I can say regardless of what you buy you should invest in a great pair of hats. They are your best friend.

Frostilicus

It really depends on what sound you are wanting to achieve. For me personally I enjoy a more "woody, warm" vintage tone, so I use Paiste Giant Beats. But I can say regardless of what you buy you should invest in a great pair of hats. They are your best friend.
Perhaps, given that I'm still a relative beginner who still needs work on technique, it's less important that I worry about details of sound than I buy a set of cymbals that aren't shit :D

Given the constraints of budget and genre(s), what might I look at?

(I quite liked the sound of Paiste PST5 hi-hats that I used during a rehearsal. My Zildjians sound harsh, the Paistes sounded softer.)

tbmills

Gold Member
well are you partial to any brand?
i had some zildjian a customs as my first real cymbals and they sound great for louder music.
i now play a combination of zildjian avedis and k custom for a lighter more funk/groove/classic rock music.

i recommend zildjian avedis. there good, versatile, and fairly heavy duty.
theyll sound bright and loud for rock/metal but not as harsh.
and not as cutting and shimmering as a customs for your indie.
the zildjian a line is a good all around cymbal.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
the zildjian a line is a good all around cymbal.
Yes, they will sound good and be versatile. You can easily get 2 crashes and a splash for your budget, with some left over cashola. If you want a little warmer sound, you could get the Armand series cymbals which are good too...

Khaine88

you could always try sabian AAX aswell. ive seen box's (ride crash hats) go for around £320 and some times with an extra free crash. but to get the splash and extra crash you may need to go over budget a bit

tbmills

Gold Member
Yes, they will sound good and be versatile. You can easily get 2 crashes and a splash for your budget, with some left over cashola. If you want a little warmer sound, you could get the Armand series cymbals which are good too...
yeah the armand series is modeled after a more vintage sound but the still have a modern feel.

Solaris

Silver Member
Ding! 10 points.

They are all the "heavy" models (rock, metal etc...) with a black coating, no 'new' models as such. The general consensus is that they're a 12 month gimmick. I'd have teo say that they are marketed directly at the recent explosion of young emo/goth teenagers who must have everything black. Sorry to stereotype but it seems apt.