Recommend new beaters

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I really like the look of that, may have to purchase.

What kind of sound do you get from it compared to a regular felt beater?
I had been experimenting with different head combinations and had switched
to a belt driven pedal when I first tried the Danbar Zoro beater. Out of
every combination I had tried the belt drive pedal and the Zoro beater
immediately became my favorite combination. I just love the feel of
this beater.

The biggest difference from a standard felt beater is the amount of tone
I can pull from my 24" bass drum. I'm using Aquarian Force I Clear batter
and Aquarian Modern Vintage with a felt strip (unported) for reso. I can get
more volume with less effort when needed, but to my ear it's all about the tone.

That being said if I'm doing acoustic, lighter music I'll likely use either a
Vic Firth VicKick B1 or B3 or a Vater Beater Bomber. Lose some volume
but gain finesse with those beaters.

hawksmoor

So I used the Zoro beater for the first time the other day, and I don't know, I may have been playing particularly well, but it was a revelation. I pulled off every 16th note bass-drum trick I could with this beater. Love it.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
My favorite as of late is the Cherry Hill Black Walnut w/ Felt Insert (the one on the right). It's a fuller, thicker sound with additional slap when you lay into it. This makes for a wider contrast between accented and unaccented strokes that I've never gotten from another beater.

Attachments

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
I also have a Vic Firth VKB5...and I don't like it. Played it on 22" and 20" drums so far and, well, it sounds like the drum is being played with a marching mallet (imagine that!). Too much articulation, not enough "fullness" for me. Haven't yet tried it on my 18" bass drum.

What weight and sound are you looking for?
I think light'ish... Maybe.
No specific sound preferences, since i allready have IC wooden, felt (just found these at my studios "junk box" ) and plastic.
I think i like wooden beaters attack and agressiveness best.
Maybe i'll just wait little while and collect few extra bucks and order low boys :D
They are just so sweet looking things.

newoldie

Silver Member
My favorite as of late is the Cherry Hill Black Walnut w/ Felt Insert (the one on the right). It's a fuller, thicker sound with additional slap when you lay into it. This makes for a wider contrast between accented and unaccented strokes that I've never gotten from another beater.
Spln:

Have you seen any [YouTube] videos on these being played? The felt insert one looks interesting, the web site says they are "lightweight." There's not a lot of info on the beater itself.

Do they feel lightweight to you, what type of music do you use them for?

OldReliable

Spln:

Have you seen any [YouTube] videos on these being played? The felt insert one looks interesting, the web site says they are "lightweight." There's not a lot of info on the beater itself.

Here’s a clip I found on YouTube that shows both the leather and felt insert models being played. The felt is played at the 19 second mark, while the leather is at 4:04.

https://youtu.be/5gsfdVBThoI

newoldie

Silver Member
Thanks, OR!

Great video, so many beaters they all start to sound similar, except for the fluffy ones. As Spln commented, that new VickKick (VKB5) does sound too "marching mallet" - like for my use.

It's obviously so subjective, maybe what feels/rebounds best for you.

I currently use a Ludwig Atlas beater on my Speedcobra, feels good and sounds pretty full compared to some other beaters I've used, so I won't switch at this point.

If they used a dual camera with the mic on the reso head, you could hear what the audience does, where it counts. And as the other YT comments noted, that is one overmuffled BD!

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Spln:

Hey N.O.,

So before this, my primary beater was a VickKick felt. This is lighter than that but not super light on the order of, say, a trick or slug beater. It feels very well-balanced and elicits a "fuller" sound than the felt Vickkick. To my ear, the sound falls somewhere between a felt beater and a wooden beater. I love it.

So far, I've played it on 22" and 20" bass drums for rock, blues, funk, and fusion.

newoldie

Silver Member
Hey N.O.,

So before this, my primary beater was a VickKick felt. This is lighter than that but not super light on the order of, say, a trick or slug beater. It feels very well-balanced and elicits a "fuller" sound than the felt Vickkick. To my ear, the sound falls somewhere between a felt beater and a wooden beater. I love it.

So far, I've played it on 22" and 20" bass drums for rock, blues, funk, and fusion.
Thanks for those comments, that sounds 'zackly what I would want it to do and use it for as well. That 'between' felt and wood sound is very tempting.

I use a VK felt on my practice home kit, like it very much and switch between the 2 beater angles. It's light feeling and I can rebound it well.

I use the Ludwig Atlas beater for live gigs, we compared it with the VK in front of the BD and the Atlas just edged out the VK felt with that fuller sound.

Will keep the felt CH in mind; just wish I could give it a spin prior to buying which is not possible with the manufacturer selling them (I'd assume).

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I've been using the Danmar Red Wood Beaters for a long time.
I recently put the stock Yamaha beaters back on my pedals, and after using them for 2 days I switched back to Danmar. The Yamaha's are lighter, and I guess I'm used to that heavier weight.

hawksmoor

I've been using my Zorro Danmar beater for gigs and rehearsals and I love it. It does everything I ask of of it.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Wow, those are beautifully crafted. I’m interested to hear them.

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
The Mapex Falcon beaters are pretty interesting in that they have interchangeable weights. You can choose a 10g, 20g or no weight for the beater. They also have interchangeable sides, felt and plastic.