Recommend Media On Theory

Rock Salad

Hi,
I am looking for study materials/interviews that focus more on concepts and philosophy than rote exercises.
Cause I'm 90% half mental. And because I have some good exercises already that I want to explore further before starting on more.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Not actual theory, but these are more conceptual drumming books:

• Drum Wisdom by Bob Moses
• All of Peter Erskine's books.
• Jazz Drumming Workshop by John Riley
• I linked to some reading books in another post: Studio and Big Band Drumming by Steve Houghton, Drumset Reading by Ron Fink
• How Not To Play The Drums by Charli Persip

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Hi,
I am looking for study materials/interviews that focus more on concepts and philosophy than rote exercises.
Cause I'm 90% half mental. And because I have some good exercises already that I want to explore further before starting on more.
Have you had any classes in music theory, form and analysis, etc? That’s not a bad place to start

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Not sure what style of music/playing you're intent on focusing on (if any) but Todd Sucherman has some great concepts and philosophies he shares in his books and DVD's.

Also: There used to be a series of articles in Modern Drummer magazine titled 'concepts' that weren't exercises or gear but thoughts and ideas of the drumming world. Good stuff if you can find them.

Rock Salad

Thanks guys, I got some stuff to investigate now.
And no, have not had any classes after 10th grade period. Maybe coursera? Heard nice things about them.
Unsure of a style to try to lock down, it will probably be decided by who I get to play with and any mentoring i can get from other drummers here in Tulsa. Right now it's blues ish rock & roll.

Benthedrummer

Not actual theory, but these are more conceptual drumming books:

• Drum Wisdom by Bob Moses
• All of Peter Erskine's books.
• Jazz Drumming Workshop by John Riley
• I linked to some reading books in another post: Studio and Big Band Drumming by Steve Houghton, Drumset Reading by Ron Fink
• How Not To Play The Drums by Charli Persip
I hear really good things about the Bob Moses book.

I think your recommendation has made me take a closer look.