Recommend me a 14x3.5 snare

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I'm casually looking on ebay etc for a 14" snare with a shallow depth, and just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive snare that might be worth looking out for? I think I'd probably go for a metal snare with steel being my preference. What might be good?

I don't know about inexpensive, but the Pearl Free Floating 14x3.5 is a great snare. I am sure you can find one used for a good price. You can get a really dry sound out of the steel version.

I don't know about inexpensive, but the Pearl Free Floating 14x3.5 is a great snare. I am sure you can find one used for a good price. You can get a really dry sound out of the steel version.

I got mine for $80, look used! I haven't experimented with it too much, but I think mine wants thicker heads and an even tighter reso. Try to get one of the first two generation models with the 16" extended wires.

I'm gonna be so brash as to say don't get a pancake snare. I will cause everyone around you to think less if you and silently judge you while never really telling you why. Its a sad life Ben, a sad sad life...

Either that or a Pearl FF. Andy used to use one back when he was a lad.

Back