Recommend a metronome

I have a great metronome in my roland electric kit, but I won't a great metronome for my acoustic. I want something that I don't have to use the headphones with. Doesn't have to blast my ears off, but something I can hear when playing at quiet to moderate volumes without cymbals. I heard KORG makes a good one, but I can't track down the model name.

Anyone?

I love the tama one. But I'm not sure about it being loud enough. I run mine through head phones.

What's the lowest bpm? Does it increase by 1 bpm or more?
My met...the lowest setting is 40 and it goes up by 2 bpm.
I'd like a met that goes lower than 40...preferably to 1, and also that I can set to say 83 bpm for instance.

I have the korg beatlab. its really really good. it goes down to 8bpm if you're crazy enough :)

What's the lowest bpm? Does it increase by 1 bpm or more?
My met...the lowest setting is 40 and it goes up by 2 bpm.
I'd like a met that goes lower than 40...preferably to 1, and also that I can set to say 83 bpm for instance.

The Boss nomes are most popular with pros here - they go below 40 and the high end ones are feature-rich.

I have a Korg MA 30, a few years old now, less expensive than the equivalent Bosses.

Min tempo 40bpm and shifts by 1 bpm. Very compact, a similar size to an iPhone. Love the tap tempo feature, which I guess is now standard. Haven't had to replace the batteries yet and it's done more hours than the recommended battery life.

Things I'd like:

- to go down to 30bpm
- fast scroll in 5 or 10bpm increments instead of 20
- ability to blank out every second bar or two bars out of four.

I had always looked at the metronome as an unwelcome party guest until somebody pointed out that he was bringing the good stuff. Then I got better.....

I have the Tama Rhythm watch and a little Korg. Then somebody told me about an iPhone app. It is really good. Not sure if you have electronic gadgets around but I was surprised. I have an iPad app too. My iPhone is on its way out.

Has more features than I know what to do with, I can carry it in a pocket and play through ear buds.

I own a Boss DB90 which I have set up to be mixed with the music source that I'm listening to, if need be. I also have a small Korg MA30 unit that's very small and portable. I don't know if you would be able to hear the Korg without headphones or other amplification.

Dennis

Last edited:
Tama Rhythm Watch is a good one

Very versatile. Good volume. Numerous beat combo's. Increase/Decrease in increments of 1. Memory thingy so you can create your own tempo.

I love the tama one. But I'm not sure about it being loud enough. I run mine through head phones.

If you're smacking the drums hard, it's gonna be hard to hear anything else. It's pretty loud though, IMO. You can pound at a medium level and still hear it. Solid purchase.

If my old Sabine zipbeat ever breaks or gets lost, I will be getting a Tama Rhythm Watch for sure

Back