Recital Song Ideas?

BeatrixKiddo

Hi all!

I've been playing drums for about a year and a half, and my teacher wants me to be in the annual recital this year. I'm pretty stoked about it...it will be pretty entertaining...I'm 32 and most of his students are kids. I'm not the only adult though so I won't be alone. Anyway, I wanted to get some opinions on a good/fun/dynamic song to learn and play (it's in September, so plenty of time to learn). To give you an idea of my skill level, here are the songs I've learned and can play awesomely:

AC/DC: Back in Black, Highway to Hell, For Those About to Rock
Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb
CCR: Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Zeppelin: When the Levee Breaks (actually have only gotten through about 3/4ths of this)
Weezer: Say It Ain't So
The Band: The Weight (currently working on this one...about 3/4ths through as well)
White Stripes: Seven Nation Army (which really barely counts b/c it's so easy, but damn is it fun)

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks! :)

GeoB

Gold Member
CCR Hey Tonight

Cream - Sunshine of your love 5/4

Deep Purple - Hush

Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Gimme Some Lovin'

STXBob

Gold Member
I would talk to band members and see what songs they play well. You will sound better when the band sounds better.
Fixed that for you. ;-) If the band can't really play - or doesn't like to play - the song you've chosen, you're going to come off as mediocre no matter how awesomely you play it.

If I can offer a bit of advice - whatever you learn, learn it so well that you can play it on autopilot and PERFORM.

Me, I'd be all over Say It Ain't So. I'd be adding in visuals - twirls, flips, all of that kind of thing - and dancing on my throne. That tune is mid-tempo, so there's time for even someone like you or I to hit all the notes while being a rock star. :-D

In other words, be Steve Moore: http://youtu.be/ItZyaOlrb7E You'll bring the house down.