Rebuilding A Banda Bass Drum (Update)

JLoveDrums94

So, out of curiosity, I recently bought a banda bass drum from Mexico. It’s made from this Mexican brand that I never heard of. It was made with parts of a very “questionable” quality. Then again, disclosure: I don’t really know bass drums. The claws looked weird. The tension rods wouldn’t sit flat on the claws. The tension rods and swivel nuts have an odd-ball thread count, not like any traditional tension rod. The hoops, though complimented the looks of the drum, were bent/warped and of an odd size (they sat unusually snug on drum heads). Out of all the problems that I had with tuning this drum, the biggest one I had was that I eventually reached a point on turning certain lugs where they just wouldn’t turn anymore. So, out of further curiosity, I bought a bunch of parts to see how much I can improve the efficiency of this drum. I replaced the tension rods, swivel nuts, claws, and hoops. I feel like the more parts I replaced, the more certain problems went away, but other problems occurred. Now the tension rods squeak crazy loud when you turn them after a certain point, and maybe a few tension rods are showing a very unhealthy amount of splay. I don’t really remember if the drum had splay before my touch ups, but I think I would’ve noticed it before. My question is, what other parts can/should I try to improve this?

The pics provided below are one of the first few pics taken of the drum before any changes were made, and a close up of the old claw and tension rod. I'll try to provide current pics in the next post.
received_388555971753836.jpeg20191105_213353.jpg

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I find this very interesting. I had the idea at one time to create a full drum set using Hispanic Banda and Herch drums. They look so cool to me.
I always suspected the the quality of the drums was poor. But they look really amazing.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
You can make spacers for the lugs to cut the splay and then longer screws. Make sure the t rods aren't too long. You could be pushing them into the platform that the spring sits on inside the lug. You don't want to bend or break those.

Does it have the cymbal mount on top?

JLoveDrums94

I find this very interesting. I had the idea at one time to create a full drum set using Hispanic Banda and Herch drums. They look so cool to me.
I always suspected the the quality of the drums was poor. But they look really amazing.

The tambora I got is labeled "Glezz", I am very familiar with the Herch name, but their drums were difficult to get my hands on in the area of Mexico that I was visiting. I honestly can't say anything about the quality of their drums because I never used them or seen them in person. I strongly believe that if I had access to the right parts and measurements, I'd be able to build a better drum from scratch. There is, apparently, a brand based in LA called "Brockoly Percussions" that is now becoming pretty popular. They're supplying tamboras to some top notch Bandas (like La Arrolladora and El Recodo). I'd love to give them a try, but I got a feeling they're hard to get a hold of and expensive, but I'd hope that their quality is top notch.

JLoveDrums94

You can make spacers for the lugs to cut the splay and then longer screws. Make sure the t rods aren't too long. You could be pushing them into the platform that the spring sits on inside the lug. You don't want to bend or break those.

Does it have the cymbal mount on top?
Do you mean like gaskets for the lug casings? From the beginning, I was avoiding having to do that because I'd have to cut gasket cutouts for all 20 of my lug casings. If they sold them instead in the right size for my casings, then I would just buy them, but go figure, these casings are an oddball shape with oddball amounts of space between mounting screws.

And yes, this does have the mount for the hihat cymbals on top.

JLoveDrums94

Update:
After a little more than 10 nonconsecutive hours of cutting ABS plastic, I made the gaskets/spacers for all 20 lug casings. Each gasket is 1/8 of an inch thick. Sadly, despite all my time and effort, the splay is still very much a problem. Not sure if it's normal at this point. Unless anyone has any other ideas, I'm convinced that I've done all I could and this is, unfortunately, as good as it's going to be. I feel like I need to choose what set of problems I want to have. I have two sets of hoops for this drum; the set that it came with, and a set that I bought thinking it would be better than the set it came with.
The problem with the set of hoops that it came with is that I'm pretty sure they're too small. They go over the shell, but they don't seem to want to fully sit on the metal rings on my drumheads. Some of the hoop seems to almost sit on the plastic part of the drumhead, rather than the metal part of it that it's supposed to sit on. You can see small gaps between the hoop and the drumhead when this happens. The only good part about these hoops is their look and the fact that they cause minimum tension rod splay.
The problem with the new set of hoops that I got is the opposite. They seem to be too large, with parts of the hoop that seem to be really close to the edge of the drumheads and their metal rings. Of course, this causes the claws and rods to come out more and causes the worst possible tension rod splay... despite having 1/8" gaskets pushing out every single casing.
My question now, aside from "what other advice can you offer me?", is which of these two sets of hoops (these two poisons) would you choose?
Here should be 4 pics. The first 3 are with the original hoops, showing the problems I mentioned. The last picture shows an example of what happens with the new hoops.
20191120_185544.jpg20191120_195917.jpg20191120_185528.jpg20191121_214834.jpg

harryconway

Platinum Member
Hmmm ..... at this point, I'm wondering if this drum originally had animal hide (calf skin) heads, in which case the hoop for the head would have been hand tucked. That could account for manufactured bass drum heads to be oversized/undersized. The original hoops would have been made to fit the drum shell .... independent of it's actual diameter.

JLoveDrums94

I don't think so. When I got it from the designer it had plain regular drumheads on it. Cheapo Taiwanese drumheads, but drumheads nonetheless. Lol

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
As long as the threaded lug insert is spring loaded and can wiggle around a little, tension rod splay is no big deal. Lots of drums have tension rod splay. Yeah sure, it can look funky, but it does not hurt the sound. I'd go with the hoops that properly fit the head. It's important that the head sits correctly on the bearing edge.