Really bad TV or Movie fake bands

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Who said it can not be done?, we are talking about something else. It doesn´t matter...

No one said it can't be done, that's the point, and is exactly the theme of this thread. Apparently it does matter, or this thread would not exist.

I'll have to see if I can find the film's you linked. We have a good used movie store here with a huge selection. I don't have Netflix or anything like that.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Besides if you find the movie (its a pretty ´wellknown major movie production), I´m not sure if you will like it, there is no one hitting anyone, insulting, etc., just watching the links would give you a hint of the tone...

Oh okay sir. I bow down to your infinite supremacy of knowledge of what I like and don't. I'll make sure to PM you from now on whenever I make a decision or have an opinion on anything. Apparently you know me (and everyone else) inside and out, and we should all just bow down and do what you want us to.

I swear conversing with you is sometimes like talking to a brick wall.

Thank you, drive thru.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I hope you didn't watch Bohemian Rhapsody ! I still can't understand why they made Roger play in 1970/71 a vintage - hum - 90's 5 piece power toms Sonor Hilite !
Multiple plans of this kit in the film, it really hurt my eyes. Would have it been difficult to pick up a vintage 4 piece Premier or anything else but late 60's ?

This!

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night for the 1st time. They got his later kit to look fairly accurate to his setup at live aid (though the crash cymbals were reversed).

But the early cub scene that is supposed to be set in 1970, and he is clearly playing Sonar Hilites from the late 80s/early 90's.

That bugged me for the rest of the movie.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I have musicians in my family and they see this stuff all the time. My sister is classically trained in violin & when she sees actors playing in movies it frustrates her.
I feel her pain when I see drummers too.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Was watching Collateral, Tom Cruise, last night and a scene from a Jazz club, had a great band playing, recorded, and the drummer was play a nice 1/8th pattern on the high hat, and the sound, was a nice ride pattern on the ride cymbal. Oh well close.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I watched most of the Billboard Awards on Sunday. I could not find any live bands playing. I noticed that several drummers had what looked like rubber pads on their drums. Very disappointing. At least the Grammy award show had some live performances.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I watched most of the Billboard Awards on Sunday. I could not find any live bands playing. I noticed that several drummers had what looked like rubber pads on their drums. Very disappointing. At least the Grammy award show had some live performances.

My wife put that on as well. I checked out when Pink did the rope swing thing.

wraub

Well this was coincidence… reading this thread and running across this scene from Top Secret…

...this is not Mel Torme'.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

yeah...this always irks me too.

AND, you would never see that lack of detail with sports stuff in movies. Like football players wearing hockey shoulder pads, or hockey players wearing football helmets....or track runners wearing soccer cleats...

But it is ok to have a clarinet mouthpiece on a saxophone
or to have the right hand on top and left hand on bottom of the keys
or to have the hi hat set up inside of the snare drum, and the floor tom 3 feet to the right...

"hell, it is just a saxophone. Who cares..."

mrfingers

I’m surprised that”Top Secret” band didn’t play their instruments upside down, just to keep the movie’s overall themes! 😆😆😆

timmdrum

Silver Member
Also, when filming scenes for a movie, the song which is supposed to be playing and which is later heard by the audience watching the film is often inaudible to the actors
Similar case in point: for the famous boom box scene in Say Anything, Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" wasn't playing on-set. It was "Party At Ground Zero" by Fishbone.

Nirvana had a lot of fun with that on Top of the Pops, when they were told that under no circumstances would they be able to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" live:

And speaking of Fishbone, they took the piss out of this scenario on Soul Train:

wraub

Similar case in point: for the famous boom box scene in Say Anything, Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" wasn't playing on-set. It was "Party At Ground Zero" by Fishbone.

And speaking of Fishbone, they took the piss out of this scenario on Soul Train:

There are many reasons why Fishbone is the band I've seen more than any others. ;)

Don Cornelius looks stunned- rare to see him so apparently speechless.

rebonn

As a kid, I liked it when the Monkees played their songs in the episodes. I actually looked forward to it. I thought they did pretty good.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well it's the common misconception drums aren't really a musical instrument so anyone can play them. I get the same false impression watching Grey's Anatomy with my wife on occasion. So doctors really have time for all the drama and sex while at work I ask her ROFL. Now PhDs absolutely it's like wife swap-some other faculty members wife or their lab tech. Every graduate program I was in my Professors (male and female) were having affairs with students-ironically they all cautioned me to beware such pitfalls.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I honestly think that Whiplash and Drumline:The Movie were 2 of the MOST inaccurate, fake, silly, inane and untruthful representations of band situations ever

sooo much "Hollywood"....ughh

unless someone else can give an exxam ple, there is NO WAY that any music school would have ever treated their students like in Whiplash...maybe, some of the early - 50's-70's drum corps might have had super intense and physically brutal practice ideologies...but even the lowliest of low/small town/super millitary type corps would not keep performers in that situation

I have heard that many jazz scenes are competitive, wit ha lot of mental "abuse"/games being played...but...

I remember being about 10 minutes into Whiplash and Drumline, and being like "ok, turn it off. Ths i s going to be another thing that gives the mainstream American non-musicians a completely false idea of what goes on in our world...and I will have to deal with that fallout as an educator for years to come

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Re: period correct drums...

When I was visiting Andy in 2017, while at his house, I overheard him fielding a call from a guy wanting to make a movie about Jackie Wilson, and he wanted Andy to donate a set of his Gurus.

So it would have been deliberate choice, not caring about period correct-ness of the drums...if Andy agreed, which he didn't.

In hindsight, I think it might have been Art trying to scam Andy out of a set of Gurus, but I can't prove that