Reality check!

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Regarding volume and mix.
Compared to guitars and keyboards we drummers have instant volume control.

I'd say the toms are the easiest of the lot to control. You can muffle the hell out of the bass drum too. Snare and cymbals? Forget about it.

If you want a cymbal to crash, you are going to have to hit it hard. The little ting isn't going to play the note. Same thing for the snare. You can play is quietly but if the song calls for some pop, you are going to have to give it a whack.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Sorry Jim, it wasn't my intention to render anything unimportant;).
Yeah, it is nice to know they are hiring live bands. Things could be a lot worse for musicians.
I was just making a funny comment about how many threads on this forum are concerning how to make drums sound like this or that.
As you pointed out most decent drum sets can be used for live performances and the audience will not care what the drums sound like.

I'd say the toms are the easiest of the lot to control. You can muffle the hell out of the bass drum too. Snare and cymbals? Forget about it.
For the most part you are correct. However, I was just thinking that most of the drummers that come in for jam night have one volume setting for their playing.
And that is LOUD !
They don't usually play with any kind of dynamics.