Re-Shaping Tip of Drumstick

organworthyplayer337

Has anyone done this? For example, turning an acorn/teardrop (standard vic firth tip) into a barrel tip...

If so, what tools do/did you use? I think I am going to have to start modifying sticks to fit my preferences cause it is getting too expensive trying to find the perfect stick otherwise lol

I am not an experienced wood worker but I am not a stranger to working with tools either. I have very little knowledge, but good work ethic and motivation :D that's got to count for something haha

I was thinking maybe just a handsaw and some sanding could get it done, but I'm sure someone out there knows the best course of action for this.

If anyone chimes in, thanks in advance!

Has anyone done this? For example, turning an acorn/teardrop (standard vic firth tip) into a barrel tip...

If so, what tools do/did you use? I think I am going to have to start modifying sticks to fit my preferences cause it is getting too expensive trying to find the perfect stick otherwise lol

I am not an experienced wood worker but I am not a stranger to working with tools either. I have very little knowledge, but good work ethic and motivation :D that's got to count for something haha

I was thinking maybe just a handsaw and some sanding could get it done, but I'm sure someone out there knows the best course of action for this.

Sounds like you’ve found the stick you want but don’t like the tip? What stick is it? It might be that someone on here can recommend a stick that does it all? Having said that, I’ve heard of drummers modifying the tips to get the response they’re looking for...I assume it’s as straight forward as you say, but having never done it myself I wouldn’t pretend to know the best way of going about it...that’s a cr@p response isn’t it? Sorry mate! :unsure: 😂 (y)

Reshaping a tip with pinpoint accuracy and consistency sounds like a precarious task. It's not something I'd attempt. I'm confident that I'd ruin more sticks than I'd refine.

An interesting feature of AHEAD sticks, the brand I play, is that the tips are removable. AHEAD offers a variety of shapes to suit all tastes. You can customize as desired.

@GruntersDad is quite the wood craftsman. Perhaps he can offer some guidance.

Sounds like you’ve found the stick you want but don’t like the tip? What stick is it? It might be that someone on here can recommend a stick that does it all? Having said that, I’ve heard of drummers modifying the tips to get the response they’re looking for...I assume it’s as straight forward as you say, but having never done it myself I wouldn’t pretend to know the best way of going about it...that’s a cr@p response isn’t it? Sorry mate! :unsure: 😂 (y)
Los Cabos Red Hickory 5As. I like the feel of the red hickory as well as their slightly thicker 5A diameter. But I also prefer barrel tipped sticks, which they don't offer (not without additional length). So the tip shape is the only thing I want to change.

Los Cabos Red Hickory 5As. I like the feel of the red hickory as well as their slightly thicker 5A diameter. But I also prefer barrel tipped sticks, which they don't offer (not without additional length). So the tip shape is the only thing I want to change.
Send them a note to express your interest in a 5A barrel tip (standard length). It's possible that others have already done so. With enough requests, they might start manufacturing it.

Have you tried these 5A’s? :unsure: These are slightly thinner in diameter though .565...
No image set

Reshaping a tip with pinpoint accuracy and consistency sounds like a precarious task. It's not something I'd attempt. I'm confident that I'd ruin more sticks than I'd refine.
Definitely!
I use nylon so it's not really a thing I can do. BUT...
I've reshaped an acorn nylon tip into a sorta-ball shape just to see what it would do.

The tip came flying off after a few hits on the ride bell.

So I learned my lesson there. @C.M. Jones 's point about AHEAD sticks offering different shaped tips is spot on. Run with that.

It's a great idea-I've had the same idea so yes we are both brilliant ROFL!!! I thought about using a Dremmel and sculpt it but I also thought about those cheap for kids toy wood kits-mine had a lathe and jigsaw but it was a cheap super soft wood as I recollect-this was decades ago so not sure if banned. You could use a Dremmel and jerry-rig a lathe using a stationary drill too. But if they still make something like that you could modify it to lathe and turn the stick to model the tip inexpensively.

Yep they still make them-you would have to modify it for longer stick. Well sure enough they make them but I didn't notice the cost $ 110 which isn't cheap-since I'd cut it in half right off the bat to an adjustable middle. . Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.12.37 PM.pngOn second thought maybe buy a real lathe.Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.12.37 PM.png

Last edited:
It's a great idea-I've had the same idea so yes we are both brilliant ROFL!!! I thought about using a Dremmel and sculpt it but I also thought about those cheap for kids toy wood kits-mine had a lathe and jigsaw but it was a cheap super soft wood as I recollect-this was decades ago so not sure if banned. You could use a Dremmel and jerry-rig a lathe using a stationary drill too. But if they still make something like that you could modify it to lathe and turn the stick to model the tip inexpensively.
See I’m not that handy haha this might be harder than I thought. I think I’m going to try the easy way and see what the results are

You say they sell barrel tipped sticks but with additional length. Wouldn't be easier to just chop the extra length off instead of reshaping the tip?

I have re made tips with 120 paper and spinning them against my thigh. Came out fine, but it took a little time- probably about the same amount of time as going to the store for a new pair. Except the store is closed on Sunday
Sounds easy enough. It’s not like a ton of material has to be removed to go from teardrop to barrel anyway. Think I might sacrifice an old 5A to test it out

Last edited:
Attempt #1 with a really cheap stick that came with a bundle when I purchased an electric kit.
IMG_6561.JPGIMG_6564.JPGIMG_6566.JPG
*believe it or not, whatever is going on with that weird "coloration" thing (most prominent in the third photo) was already there, not a result of my sanding

Only took about 5-7 minutes with some 120 grit sandpaper and a flat surface. Not perfect but not bad for a first pass. I took no specific measurements and didn't even reference a factory barrel tip, although I probably will going forward. Could use some leveling out.

Back