Re-learn snare position

jimzo

Buddy Rich plays his hybrid. Both leaning forward and to the right. Waist high
Bonham plays tilted back and raised up.
I am tall and I badly picked up executing the rimshot and it is three years deep... I like the sound of Bruford's when he uses it, but tend to have my snare at crotch level, which has my left sitting too low and I miss out on properly executing fills and hihat exercises.. Not having it not properly position taxes my snare to hihat reciprocation when doing these exercises.
I do not play double bass much, but also just learned that I have to have my legs more to a 90 degree angle, or to readjust my pedals for a wider stance.
Bottom line is my arms are in the incorrect position for executing phrases.
I also realize that I learned on a 26" kit (22" currently) and the freestanding tom next to the virgin bass sat pretty high as did my throne. That's part of the issue I think.

I realize that my playing will not be at all sounding good while in this transitional phase. I need to start properly playing with correct posture or I will never progress and I like to progress exponentially when I can. Snare/kick/hh are the most important, so... back to the drawing board I go
Thanks guru's and teachers for your input, and is appreciated.

jimzo

Thanks ! :)
Good pointers in that vid. I thought I would just "go-for-it" at rehearsal last night and try to play sitting lower which made my arms naturally come up to more of a 90° angle. I left everything the same which; like in the video, I do have the kit the way it is most efficient and effortless to play. My issue being my lazy posture with my arms resting beyond the 90° mark (closer to 110°). Readjusted lower on the throne, forces me to use more wrist and less arm, as it should.
I noticed that if I snap a little harder that I could have a close sounding rimshot. (Would something like that be called power strokes ? IDK)

The hh/snare exchange seemed to be at an executable level. With all this being incorporated now, keeping posture seems like a lot of work, but in the end will save me my bad habits. Most of all, improvising should be effortless for me.

I also am trying to figure out where my beater feels and sounds good positioned on the batter. I had wooden Bombers pretty much dead center on the 26". I am now experimenting where to place the beater on the 22".
I would assume center as well, but currently I have it noticeably higher than center to make it feel like I was accustomed to with the 26. Also, utilizing the same kick pedals.
Seems like I need to learn about weights and possible spring tension. I don't play enough footed technique, but I'm working on that to make my hh/snare/kick exchange deliberate and fluid...

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
When I want to change my set up, I do it gradually over some time. For example, I kept my cymbals very low as it made crashing in my fills easy, and when doing 16th note 230 bpm fills it was nice to have everything tucked right in.. Fast forward to some studio time the producer gave me some crap because of the mic bleed in the toms. I figured I could afford to raise everything up a few inches.. Rather than go all at once I moved everything up just a touch every week or so until at the desired height.

I find kick and snare adjustments are a huge deal too.. I used to have my snare way to low thinking it was helping me get some volume to have a longer throw, but I would raise it up a few mm or a cm every few days until I got used to it..

If you have a pad I like to change up practice, big sticks, small sticks. long sticks, short sticks, and mess with the height and angle of the pad. Between gear sharing, and moving stuff around you're never 100% at a live gig so it is good to be able to play in any situation.