Razorback Snare Drum - early Ocheltree?

SAINTDRUMS

I hope someone can help me out with some info about Razorback Drums. I own a 6.5 x 14 Razorback High Carbon Steel snare and was hoping someone could give me any additional information about it or the company. Here's basically what I know at this point in time; Razorback Drum company was located in Arizona and is/was owned by one person named Mike.

Here's why I ask - I see a huge Jeff Ocheltree influence/similarity. As an example to support my inquiry, the lugs are hexagonal and identical to the Ocheltree lugs. I've never seen these lugs used on any other drum. It also has a Triangle theme (ala Jeff Ocheltree) across the snare, (i.e. the hexagonal snare butt has a triangle embossed into it and the label itself is a triangle). Also all of the fasteners used throughout the drum are socket head cap screws - again, just like an Ocheltree snare. Like I mentioned, the shell is high carbon steel (powdercoated black) and is approximately 5/16" to just under 3/8" thick. It weighs in at a hefty 22 lbs.

I know that Razorback was a custom drum manufacturer and that a kit was made for Chip Ritter (who's on Drummerworld) and in fact I've spoken to Chip via e-mail asking him about his kit, but unfortunately he didn't have a lot of info I was hoping for. He no longer has that kit - he currently plays Trick drums. I also heard that Razorback drums were a favorite of Nashville session drummers at one point. I'm just trying to connect the dots to see if maybe there is a connection between Ocheltree and Razorback drums. I'm currently at work, but I'll get some pictures up (we all love pictures, don't we?) when I get home.

I know that this is long and I apologize, but here's what really makes me think there's a connection between the two manufacturers - There's a video on youtube from the Drum Center of Portsmouth (New Hampshire), and Shane's playing an Ocheltree High Carbon snare in the same size as mine and it sounds identical - it gave me chills as he could have been playing my snare

Thanks for any info you can give me!

christ

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61487&stc=1&d=1392567487

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61489&stc=1&d=1392567993http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61488&stc=1&d=1392567993

build date May of 1993 toms 10x12 12x16 13x16 16x16 kicks 24x24 snare 14x7 all birtch wood built by R H Jackson who I think is Ray he was the owner of Rayzorback drum co. this was his personal kit . ..this is one of the best sounding drum kits ive ever owned.. and get a lot of complements on the sound and looks.... ashame this company didn't last long.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
I hope someone can help me out with some info about Razorback Drums. I own a 6.5 x 14 Razorback High Carbon Steel snare and was hoping someone could give me any additional information about it or the company. Here's basically what I know at this point in time; Razorback Drum company was located in Arizona and is/was owned by one person named Mike.

Here's why I ask - I see a huge Jeff Ocheltree influence/similarity. As an example to support my inquiry, the lugs are hexagonal and identical to the Ocheltree lugs. I've never seen these lugs used on any other drum. It also has a Triangle theme (ala Jeff Ocheltree) across the snare, (i.e. the hexagonal snare butt has a triangle embossed into it and the label itself is a triangle). Also all of the fasteners used throughout the drum are socket head cap screws - again, just like an Ocheltree snare. Like I mentioned, the shell is high carbon steel (powdercoated black) and is approximately 5/16" to just under 3/8" thick. It weighs in at a hefty 22 lbs.

I know that Razorback was a custom drum manufacturer and that a kit was made for Chip Ritter (who's on Drummerworld) and in fact I've spoken to Chip via e-mail asking him about his kit, but unfortunately he didn't have a lot of info I was hoping for. He no longer has that kit - he currently plays Trick drums. I also heard that Razorback drums were a favorite of Nashville session drummers at one point. I'm just trying to connect the dots to see if maybe there is a connection between Ocheltree and Razorback drums. I'm currently at work, but I'll get some pictures up (we all love pictures, don't we?) when I get home.

I know that this is long and I apologize, but here's what really makes me think there's a connection between the two manufacturers - There's a video on youtube from the Drum Center of Portsmouth (New Hampshire), and Shane's playing an Ocheltree High Carbon snare in the same size as mine and it sounds identical - it gave me chills as he could have been playing my snare

Thanks for any info you can give me!
Yeah, Mike and Jeff worked together back in the mid 1990's. Mike Owned Razorback drums. I'll have to dig through my old files but I think Mike's last name was Wilson.

I owned the last Ocheltree Dangerous drum that was ever made. Sold it on ebay years ago.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I'm not sure who's buying from who, but I think a lot of that stuff was outsourced. I have a 5mm thick carbon steel snare from Peace Drums. I got it while I was endorsing that brand. Ocheltree come out with the identical model around the same time. Only thing different was the badge. You can still find them floating around on Ebay and Reverb here and there.