rare yamaha stage custom ive bought

huangmi

i've bought this drum kit( as my first drum kit )two weeks ago for 1150 australian dollars including cymbals(cymbals are 14 zildjian a custom rezo hihat, 18 zildjian rezo crash, 19 zildjian a custom projection crash, 20 zildjian a custom medium ride) cymbals are all brand new,and the drums are believed that its made in 1986 from japan with rare mahogany wood. 3 toms has been upgraded to free floating while the smallest one is still original. i just want to know whether its a good due and i also want to found out the model of my snare(its a mapex brass snare 14x6.5) i searched everywhere on internet and i couldn't find it. thanks alot folks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 3,997
Last edited:
how come i can only upload 1 photo at time here are some more. the snare is 14x6.5 its a 10 lug model and 2.3 mm power hoops top and bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 3,782
Last edited:
set up its a 7 pc kit the guy sold the original snare and bought the new mapex brass snare

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 6,977
I hate to tell you, friend, but that kit is quite the opposite of rare. I own one, too. It's very simply the first generation of the Stage Custom line, made with a mix of birch and Philippine mahogany. Looks like yours got kitted out with RIMS, but the tom mounts went straight on the shell originally.

This was Yamaha's answer to the Export -- an inexpensive, quality drumset that came with great hardware. There's one of these up for sale on Craigslist in almost every city in the US.

Having said that, rare or not, they're excellent drums (I've had mine for 17 years now), and you picked up a great set of quality pro-level cymbals with them. In the US I would say you paid a little steep, but for Australia that might be a good deal.

I hate to tell you, friend, but that kit is quite the opposite of rare. I own one, too. It's very simply the first generation of the Stage Custom line, made with a mix of birch and Philippine mahogany. Looks like yours got kitted out with RIMS, but the tom mounts went straight on the shell originally.

This was Yamaha's answer to the Export -- an inexpensive, quality drumset that came with great hardware. There's one of these up for sale on Craigslist in almost every city in the US.

Having said that, rare or not, they're excellent drums (I've had mine for 17 years now), and you picked up a great set of quality pro-level cymbals with them. In the US I would say you paid a little steep, but for Australia that might be a good deal.

hi mate thanks for your opinion when and where was your stage custom made? and the older stage custom are really rare trust me. they dont make it in japan any more

hi mate thanks for your opinion when and where was your stage custom made? and the older stage custom are really rare trust me. they dont make it in japan any more

Just because they don't make them in Japan any more doesn't mean they are rare. There are TENS of THOUSANDS of 1st generation Stage Customs out there, because it was a great kit for the money from a trusted name. They look (and sound) pretty close to the Yamaha 9000 series which was the industry standard kit at the time (and had been for about 20 years). Your kit isn't even close to having been made in 1986. Stage Custom wasn't introduced until the mid 1990's.

Your snare is a low cost standard brass shelled Mapex drum, probably from the late '00's judging by the badge and lugs. It's nothing to shout about, but it's also a pretty decent drum - if it's set up well it'll play and sound just fine.

Including those cymbals I actually think you've done really well on the price. Just don't get suckered into believing you've got something "rare" because of what the seller may have told you to help him make the sale. You've got a FANTASTIC first kit there to learn the craft with - love it for what it is, not for what it isn't.

and the older stage custom are really rare trust me.

They're not rare. Not at all. Heck, there's a shell pack at my local Guitar Center right now priced at like $350. There are probably two more of them at a local music store a couple miles away from that Guitar Center. Those kits are everywhere.

But as was stated, Stage Customs are great for the money. That's what they're known for.

Agreed, they are not rare.

Very common.

The Stage Custom wasn't introduced until 1995. The first generation were made in Indonesia.

I don't recall what year they moved production out of Indonesia.

Still, they're nice drums. But there is nothing "rare" about them.

It's great to have a really nice kit to practice your trade. Very cool. Congrats on getting them!

First things first though: set your spurs on the bass drum correctly, it kinda' bugs me. They don't need to be sticking out front of the bass drum, but more to the side and forward, they shouldn't extend beyond the front hoop. They arrest forward creep, yes, but they also need to be positioned to keep the bass drum from rolling from one side or the other.

Then it would also be safer to walk in front of your kit without tripping on them ;)

Whoa, I didn't even notice the spurs. That needs to be fixed pronto.

Regardless of rarity (it is not), that is a super kit and with those cymbals...wow. Not often you can buy a quality kit and get the goodies too. I don't know the conversion dollars, but that seems like a heck of a deal for all the goodness in those pics.

Whoa, I didn't even notice the spurs. That needs to be fixed pronto.

Regardless of rarity (it is not), that is a super kit and with those cymbals...wow. Not often you can buy a quality kit and get the goodies too. I don't know the conversion dollars, but that seems like a heck of a deal for all the goodness in those pics.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if they're rare or not. It's a good set of gear of everything at a good price. Can't ask for anything more than that!

They're not rare. Not at all. Heck, there's a shell pack at my local Guitar Center right now priced at like $350. There are probably two more of them at a local music store a couple miles away from that Guitar Center. Those kits are everywhere.

But as was stated, Stage Customs are great for the money. That's what they're known for.

im talking about the older ones, the ones you cant buy any more

Agreed, they are not rare.

Very common.

The Stage Custom wasn't introduced until 1995. The first generation were made in Indonesia.

I don't recall what year they moved production out of Indonesia.

Still, they're nice drums. But there is nothing "rare" about them.

pretty sure they were made in japan before they move to indonedian or china, since that they start using cheaper material to make.

It's great to have a really nice kit to practice your trade. Very cool. Congrats on getting them!

First things first though: set your spurs on the bass drum correctly, it kinda' bugs me. They don't need to be sticking out front of the bass drum, but more to the side and forward, they shouldn't extend beyond the front hoop. They arrest forward creep, yes, but they also need to be positioned to keep the bass drum from rolling from one side or the other.

Then it would also be safer to walk in front of your kit without tripping on them ;)

haha, thanks mate. ill fixed it when i get home

Your drums are first generation Stage Customs made in 1996. They moved to indo (if memory serves me correctly in the late 90s / early 2000s...I could be wrong there).
They are the same construction as indo made drums. Mix birch and Philippine mahogany.

I'm going of my retail experience of when the stage customs were put out and, where I was working at the time.

Anyway, not rare....very common on the used market...even the japan ones...at least here in the US they are. In fact, I have 2 students with Japan Stage customs that they use to gig with.

The fact that they were made in Japan only signifies that they were some of the first production runs of Stage Customs (in 96) before acquiring the Indo factory.

The stage custom was Yamaha's answer to the Export, Swingstar models.

Cheers
D

Back