Rant Time, time to take my own advice

mikyok

Platinum Member
Band dramas are always fun on here.......so here's one of my own that's more of a ball-less agent one!

Played a 40th birthday party on Saturday that had more in common with a wake than a birthday party. Actually I can name several wakes I've been to that have had a better atmosphere than this gig.

The Einstein who arranged the party for his wife decided to book a 250 capacity room at a venue that nobody could find so in the end about 30 people showed up (this includes kids). A week before the gig we were deluged with 12 song requests of which we managed to learn 6 and requests for each of us to play a solo?!? At no point did our agent bother to say no, or that will cost more due to the extra work involved. (he'll take it up to the wristwatch to get an agents fee from a client). He also requested to see our setlist 3 days before the gig to remove songs he didn't want to hear.

As you can gather the night was bloody hard work not made any easier by the fact our agent told the client that we were using a dep singer too which wasn't the case, he sold the gig on the wrong promo pic via another agency. (How much was skimmed of the gig fee before we got a taste I'm wondering). We were professional from start to finish as we always are, showed up early, finished on time and played bang on time.

The day after I get a phone call from said agent saying they weren't happy with a load of stupid unfounded reasons including requests and mainly having a go at our singer (Surprise, surprise). The main reason being he used a tablet for lyrics (he had a stroke a couple years back and it effects his memory). I told him exactly how bad the gig was and the factors that made it that bad, none of which were anything to do with us.

Anyways this morning I get an e-mail saying he needs additional feedback from us all, the client is asking us to use our consciences to give a partial refund (no prizes for guessing the answer to that) with the venue chiming in as well (wtf has it got to do with them!). To say I've given my 2c as a reply is an understatement! Oldest trick in the book, organise a crap party and blame the entertainment. At no point has out agent told them to f*ck off, they signed a contract and we kept our end

Anyways as I always say to other folk suffering uneccesary crap....get the hell out of there. That's exactly what I've done. I'd rather pay to play cricket than get paid put up with that crap!

We were fired from a singles gig once. The guy that hired us liked our music, but apparently did not discuss it or play it to other people in charge of the gig and venue. We were a loud, hard rock band hardly suited for this party. What they really needed was more background music than us. After telling us to "Turn it down!" about 3 times, they finally told us to just pack it in. But we still got paid...Since there was a contract, no refund. If they insist, it should come from your agent's cut.

It sounds like this is the agents problem, not your's. Your agent needs to work on the contracts, and business in general. In my opinion, any refund comes out of your agents pocket.

We were fired from a singles gig once. The guy that hired us liked our music, but apparently did not discuss it or play it to other people in charge of the gig and venue. We were a loud, hard rock band hardly suited for this party. What they really needed was more background music than us. After telling us to "Turn it down!" about 3 times, they finally told us to just pack it in. But we still got paid...Since there was a contract, no refund. If they insist, it should come from your agent's cut.

That reminds me of a metal band that got hired to play a local club back in the 1990's. The drummer had a big double bass kit, and he triggered explosions on his kick drums. They didn't make it through soundcheck before being told they had to leave. ?

You had a contract. Feelings aren't included in a contract. As Judge Judy has stated, "The law doesn't give a rats ass about your feelings!". Tell the agent to suck it up, you held up your end of the contract.

Got it. Thanks!

The OP's story sounds like a nightmare. I've NEVER been asked to give money back. What a moron that person must have been.

I'd look into getting a new agent if it's possible too.

I've said to the guys I'll do the gigs I'm contracted to do until the end of the year or 26/12/19 then I'm done.

I have another band that I'm the full time dep/fill in for and I've had a lot of work from them this year (zero hassle). Plus I was in the process of getting rid of this agent anyway and have started my own functions band without the middle man (first gig next month!). This has been the straw that broke the camels back.

You had a contract. Feelings aren't included in a contract. As Judge Judy has stated, "The law doesn't give a rats ass about your feelings!". Tell the agent to suck it up, you held up your end of the contract.

It's Judge Rinder here.........same kind of trash tv mind :)

He's been told there will be no refund forthcoming as we followed our contract. I also told him that an opinion is subjective and doesn't constitute fact so their argument falls flat on its arse.

Better yet, get your agent and the party planner on Judge Judy. I love watching her hand idiots their @55es. This would be a double whammy! ?
I heard Jerry Springer is (or is going to be) a judge on a TV show now (really). That might be interesting.

T.

I heard Jerry Springer is (or is going to be) a judge on a TV show now (really). That might be interesting.

T.

It's true. Saw a commercial for it like 2 weeks ago. I can't take him seriously. Judge Judy should punch him in the face.

Back