Random Thoughts II

I'm in the middle of a three week tour with 33 teenagers. Been to San Fran, been to New York, and now we're in Florida. But its cold!
I've also discovered that the people in these three cities have quite different views about Mr. Trump (and guns). Interesting.

Ha. Those 3 areas are worlds apart (geographically and socially), and probably agree on very little. Is that not the case in Australia?

Hope your trip is going well and you've not lost many teenagers along the way. What a bother that would be! So many forms you'd have to fill out, and stuff.

Yes each city has a very different vibe.
Haven't lost any kids yet, so no forms to fill out.
Today our kids joined a US modern history class in Tampa to discuss presidential candidates, guns, Australia's multiple prime ministers and more. Interesting to hear the views of the different teenagers and their teachers.
Then we presented a concert to the whole school.
Tomorrow we go to Disneyworld.
Quite a diverse trip.

What's new?

It seems that I've joined a band, and I now have more food allergies.

Those two things aren't directly related.

I don't think. :|

Also, we rehearse at a music studio so I play on a different kit pretty much every practice (twice a week). A couple of the kits were nothing to write home about, but there was a Tama that was pretty good, and last Sunday I played on a Mapex kit that I liked. It wasn't a Saturn though, dammit. I still need to find out what all the Mapex Saturn hype is about.

Anyone else struggle a bit with playing on multiple kits on a regular basis?

Re: What's new?

Yes, if the kit is especially bad quality or set up particularly screwy and there isn't an opportunity to rearrange it.

Also, we rehearse at a music studio so I play on a different kit pretty much every practice (twice a week). A couple of the kits were nothing to write home about, but there was a Tama that was pretty good, and last Sunday I played on a Mapex kit that I liked. It wasn't a Saturn though, dammit. I still need to find out what all the Mapex Saturn hype is about.

My condolences about the band Elle, but hey, congratulations on the food allergies!

Wait, scratch that, reverse it.

elle;1413082\ said:

Great to hear that you've joined a band! Welcome to the world of dynamics. Never wear sneakers.

Yes, I play on three different kits with three different bass drum pedals and three different thrones. It just reminds me how much I love/appreciate my Tama First Chair throne and my Axis pedal. I wish I had 3 of each.

As long as pizza, beer and chocolate are still on the menu, the rest is just fuel.

Congrats on apparently joining a band! That is awesome news, and will be heaps wicked fun, I have no doubt.

I've played different kits on occasions, with the kits ranging from the excellent to the utterly foul. I try and ignore the kit, and just play. My approach is to be the opposite of the princess and the pea...just sit down at the kit and start hitting stuff!

Great to hear that you've joined a band! Welcome to the world of dynamics. Never wear sneakers.
Thanks, Zeph. :) I don't wear sneakers, but why shouldn't they be worn? And what do most people wear? At home I play barefoot, but only because my kit is nice and clean and I am usually always barefoot when I'm home. During the cold months I am forced to wear socks or light slippers, at least half the time.

As long as pizza, beer and chocolate are still on the menu, the rest is just fuel.

Congrats on apparently joining a band! That is awesome news, and will be heaps wicked fun, I have no doubt.

I've played different kits on occasions, with the kits ranging from the excellent to the utterly foul. I try and ignore the kit, and just play. My approach is to be the opposite of the princess and the pea...just sit down at the kit and start hitting stuff!
Thank you. Not sure where it's going, but I am along for the ride, for now. I haven't been posting much because it's taking quite a lot of time and effort on my part, to learn all the original songs. As far as the kits go (or anything else), if I feel any princess thoughts, I stifle them. ;)

And sadly none of those things you listed above, are on the menu! There are only a handful of items that I can eat at them moment, and it's a weird mix. There is very little joy to be had in food, but I am hoping that will change, so I can eventually eat at a restaurant again, or even someone else's house.

No beer???

No pizza???????

No chocolate????????????

Sweet baby jeebus, that had better be a blues band you're playing in 'cause you got enough to have the blues about.

Thanks, Zeph. :) I don't wear sneakers, but why shouldn't they be worn? And what do most people wear?

Actually, plenty of people wear sneakers. It actually is advice from Bernard Purdie and the great Joe Morello. In fact I don't think Neil Peart wears sneakers either, Purdie recommends a nice loafer or some type of light hard sole shoe. Like a dancing loafer (for guys I guess). I wear good flip-flops myself, but I'm not sure tht's quite what they meant.

I just said that to be confusing. hehehe

Gosh Elle have any idea what food/s you maybe allergic too? I had an issue years back of eating Italian subs or some pizza's that I'd break our with red whelps and my scalp would itch like crazy. I'd eaten them for years but then suddenly I got this reaction. I quit eating both but in recent years have started back and no reaction?? I'm puzzled. Great news with the band-are you going for you own interpretation or trying to mimic the originals in drumming?

No beer???

No pizza???????

No chocolate????????????

Sweet baby jeebus, that had better be a blues band you're playing in 'cause you got enough to have the blues about.
Apparently it might be ok to have my usual lemon-drop martini, because clear alcohols are easier on the stomach, and lemon is one of the handful of foods that I know I can have. If this is the case, I will gladly get drunk and sing you a blues song or three. Even though I don't sing, and you're a bit far away.

Actually, plenty of people wear sneakers. It actually is advice from Bernard Purdie and the great Joe Morello. In fact I don't think Neil Peart wears sneakers either, Purdie recommends a nice loafer or some type of light hard sole shoe. Like a dancing loafer (for guys I guess). I wear good flip-flops myself, but I'm not sure tht's quite what they meant.

I just said that to be confusing. hehehe
Of course you did! Silly me. ;) I wear very thin flats, although when summer comes, I might go barefoot as usual, given I am using my own pedals. :|

Great news with the band-are you going for you own interpretation or trying to mimic the originals in drumming?
It's all original songs. :)

Last edited:
I can't wait for self-driving cars to take over. Then all the stupid people can play on their phones and daydream while the car actually drives the speed limit in the left lane. I have lost all my patience with people the last few days. I really feel like I'm the only one on the road who knows how to drive.

And then , like your computer, you put your faith in it just as it has a hiccup, and you are wearing the car in front of you. These same stupid people are making the cars, and the computer systems, and installing these parts on human-assembled cars and you'll either be dead or in court for killing someone else. Patience is easier to work on and usually has better results.

And then , like your computer, you put your faith in it just as it has a hiccup, and you are wearing the car in front of you. These same stupid people are making the cars, and the computer systems, and installing these parts on human-assembled cars and you'll either be dead or in court for killing someone else. Patience is easier to work on and usually has better results.

I agree with Roch that self driving vehicles are desirable. I agree with Grunt that the same shitlords that make our current junk vehicles cannot be trusted to deliver a reliable product.

Much like socialized medical care... I think that we would benefit from a national taxpayer funded medical system, but I'll be damned if I let the same shitlords that run the VA handle my health care.

Perhaps Tesla will fix things.

Back