Random Thoughts II

Last night it didn't snow in Sydney.

I was very surprised. My son (aged 10 and 3/4) put in some practice time on the drum kit.

Buying a kit for him was what started me playing.

Since then I have:
Upgraded the cymbals
Upgraded the kit
Added cowbell and tambourine to the kit
Added a 10" tom to the kit
Replaced the hi hat stand
Replaced the bass pedal
Swapped out some cymbals and added some new ones.

In between all of that, I think yesterday was the second time he practiced.

I was pretty sure that such a rare event would cause snow, or possibly earthquakes, volcanoes or small animals falling from the sky.

I can't afford to get him to practice a third time.

One the plus side, I'm loving drumming and the kit very quickly ceased to be his kit, was briefly our kit, and is now my kit!

Little bugger was on the kit again yesterday!

This morning's unprecedented solar eclipse is no cause for alarm.

Gonna see Gary Novak play this friday. I'm ecstatic and have butterflies in my stomach.

Does anyone else have a partner who gets fussy on what drums you buy etc? Im both lucky and cursed, as she has great taste soundwise in snares, but if she doesn't like the look of it, it cant be in the house. Kinda sucky but most snares come in alternate finishes anyway and if its a natural wood its safe. Mostly wraps she gets iffy over.

I wish I had one... my wife does not care about my gear or about my playing :'(
She did buy my a subscription to a drummer magazine :)

Does anyone else have a partner who gets fussy on what drums you buy etc? Im both lucky and cursed, as she has great taste soundwise in snares, but if she doesn't like the look of it, it cant be in the house. Kinda sucky but most snares come in alternate finishes anyway and if its a natural wood its safe. Mostly wraps she gets iffy over.

I wish I had one... my wife does not care about my gear or about my playing :'(
She did buy my a subscription to a drummer magazine :)

Oh come on, you two. Surely you have other things to talk to your OHs about? Sheesh, this is one of the reasons why DW exists!

That doesn't sound very fun. I very much value my wife's opinion, especially with how things sound but they're my drums and I get the final say on what I play. She gets to decorate the house and I get to populate the back room with all my gear. It is a very good arrangement. She doesn't even bug me if I leave out a project on the coffee table as long as it doesn't sit too long.

I realized this Sunday that I have trained all the musicians that I play with to help me tune. When the pitch of two lugs is very close I have trouble telling which one is higher/lower. My wife, roommate, sister in-law and (as I just discovered) the guitar player from church are completely used to me calling out their name, hitting two lugs and looking at them with an inquiring expression. They then point to the higher lug and say "that one is higher". I thank them and return to my tuning.

One of the very few times ive talked about the lovely lady :p Who coincidentally is coming to lds with me :)

Excellent, I look forward to meeting her :D

We played a gig on Halloween and the beater got stuck in my pants leg two times during the show. I saw on Neil Peart's video that he wraps a strap around his pant leg to keep that from happening. Live and learn I guess. I'll have to do that strap thing too because it was a horrible feeling while I was playing. Didn't miss a beat timing-wise, but unfortunately I missed a few on the bass drum.

Back