Random thought about acrylic drums

The seams are vertical. Long lugs arent going to hold the shell together if it cracks along the seam.

I'd always worry about them cracking. That's just me.

Surely someone can figure out how to make a seamless acrylic shell using centrifugal force or something.
Pearl's Crystal Beat reissues have seamless acrylic shells. Gotta be someone out there making them.

The better shower units are acrylic so I figure acrylic can handle stresses. Drums are made of Barcol plastic - or something like that but there is another grade that is harder but I can’t remember spit. I think the acrylic they use has more give which actually helps accommodate stresses. But I may not be shooting straight.

The seams are vertical. Long lugs arent going to hold the shell together if it cracks along the seam.

I'd always worry about them cracking. That's just me.
This is the main reason I didn't pull the trigger on a new Ludwig Vistalite anniversary kit. I house sat for one of these for about 4 months for a buddy & within the last 6 of he having it back in his house, there are stress cracks where the mounting lugs attach to the shell.
Not sure why or if that's weather related, but it's just not something I want to have to deal with. That kit would've been my forever set & I'd need it to last at least the next 30 years.
Then I'll be gone & won't care.

This is the main reason I didn't pull the trigger on a new Ludwig Vistalite anniversary kit. I house sat for one of these for about 4 months for a buddy & within the last 6 of he having it back in his house, there are stress cracks where the mounting lugs attach to the shell.
Not sure why or if that's weather related, but it's just not something I want to have to deal with. That kit would've been my forever set & I'd need it to last at least the next 30 years.
Then I'll be gone & won't care.
Yeah, acrylic looks cool. But I would never gig with them. Had a new acrylic Pearl set for a bit, and after a few months of gigging, noticed some small stress cracks forming around the spurs. Quickly sold it, and went back to wood.

Upon further reading, Pearl molds their shell, so it is in fact seamless.

They also claim to have brought acrylic drums to the market in 1973. Ludwig is 1972 for the Vistalites, and google says Zickos prototype was 1959, patented in 1970.

If they can be made seamless, I dont see why this wouldnt be the standard.
Those Pearl seamless acrylic shells are super nice!

If I ever did have acrylic, it would be a Ludwig. It’s not something remotely on my radar though, as I’m content with good ol’ fashioned wood. I’d also worry about the cracking and issues as time went on. I know lots of guys like Vistalites for volume, but I’ve rarely heard anyone say the drummer needs to be louder. (Sometimes the opposite).

I love the look and I like the sound, but I think the practical concerns outweigh the positives. Cracking can be hit or miss, but I'd always be worried about it.

I do eventually want an acrylic snare though...

I'd really stopped thinking about them, then Fork's posts something like this. They are trying to kill me...either that or ruin my marriage.

1684764728801.png

I saw a green glitter Vistalite in person once and I was amazed by how good it looks. Photos do not do it justice.

That's why I'm so torn on acrylic drums. They can look fantastic and are really eye catching, I just hate knowing I'd probably want to baby them when I took them out.

I have a clear '76 Vista 8 peice double bass with b/o pointy badges bought in 1991. The seam question is only when/if the glue comes undone. If it does this it's because it dried out. If so, as the floor tom did for me, and, has been the only one, you simply glue it back. Seamed vista's are perfectly round. Cracking comes from overtightening the lug mounting screws. Maybe someone has overtightened heads, but I've also seen robustness in tightening down heads way too much without any cracking.

I've never seen hardware cross the seam like that concert tom on the vista's I have or other vista kits I've ever seen; but maybe this was normal for concert toms, don't have that experience. As far as the OP question about long lugs, to me they don't need it.

As far as durability goes, to me, they're as durable as any wooden drum. I haven't treated mine with any extra care beyond what is normal while also having moved the set many times. The idea wherever it came from that acrylic may be prone to cracking could be true but was never my experience with this vista kit. I'd have to guess the shells are 3/8"? The impression to me has never been thin having all drums completely apart at one time or another.

Have heard this- if you run a tom mount on the bass drum, you must have the reso head on. Do not run single batter headed only or you cuold crack the bass shell under the weight. I'm going to guess they mean at the tom mount, never seen it. This was the only bit of advice I've ever come across concerning cracking under use besides overtightening the lug mounts. Additiionally, temperature changes have never affcted mine one way or the other. As they don't expand/constrict like wood can you're not retuning for temperature if ever at all; at least I never did.

Afaik for the solids- red is the rarest, then green and yellow. After that clear, blue, and smoke were the most produced.

Last edited:
Back