Random drum community

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Are they really drummers? We all have like 50 but only know where 2 of them are. I swear the left sock monster that lives in my dryer is stealing my drumkeys also. Maybe that's how he locks his left sock box.

I'm done now.
I wanted to post some tips on the drum key issue, then thought better of it.

But I keep two keys in my stick bag, and two keys in my cymbal bag. One lives on the DW hi hat stand, and one lives on the bass drum pedal. But this crowd may not even be at the "I need a stick and cymbal bag" point yet.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Well, regarding constantly hearing the same mantras, this place also has a few..

Quick forum summary..:

* All gospel chops guys suck..

* All YT-drummers (whatever that may be) suck..

* Only play a money beat..

* I repeat, ONLY play a money beat..

* More important, NEVER EVER play anything else than a money beat..

* Actually, every drummer who dares to play more than a money beat sucks..(which is true when playing AC/DC btw lol)..

* Practice veeeeeeeeery slow, like reaaaallyyy veeeeeery slow..

* Modern music sucks..

* Lastly, PLAY A MONEY BEAT..!!!!!!!!

* And btw, when in doubt, NO FILLS, but keep playing that money beat..ALWAYS..

Because thats what gets you HIRED and what will make you rich and happy and successful and all the women will want you and all that.......

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, regarding constantly hearing the same mantras, this place also has a few..

Quick forum summary..:

* All gospel chops guys suck..

* All YT-drummers (whatever that may be) suck..

* Only play a money beat..

* I repeat, ONLY play a money beat..

* More important, NEVER EVER play anything else than a money beat..

* Actually, every drummer who dares to play more than a money beat sucks..(which is true when playing AC/DC btw lol)..

* Practice veeeeeeeeery slow, like reaaaallyyy veeeeeery slow..

* Modern music sucks..

* Lastly, PLAY A MONEY BEAT..!!!!!!!!

Because thats what gets you HIRED and what will make you rich and happy and successful and all the women will want you and all that.......

And btw, when in doubt, NO FILLS, but keep playing that money beat..ALWAYS..

Lol..
I used to think none of that was true until I started doing it. And well, look at me now. And yes, my avatar is for real. So it's working for me ;)
But I've been known to play fives around the kit in my closet!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Also I’m with @MrInsanePolack 1 drum key?? I give spares to
That's a good idea. When I was gigging we would all exchange gifts at xmas. I got 3 drumkeys, they all got picks.

But I keep two keys in my stick bag, and two keys in my cymbal bag. One lives on the DW hi hat stand, and one lives on the bass drum pedal. But this crowd may not even be at the "I need a stick and cymbal bag" point yet.
I had a bunch. I'm sure they are somewhere. I have one with a hole drilled in it on my car keys. I dont lose those. I also have one on the shelf next to my kit. I have no idea where the rest went. I swear something is stealing them.

Griffin

I used to think none of that was true until I started doing it. And well, look at me now. And yes, my avatar is for real. So it's working for me ;)
But I've been known to play fives around the kit in my closet!
The good news is we can now solve the top 15 drummers of all time thread.

1. Phil Rudd
2. Meg White...

Griffin

Should I have more than 3? Or 4 technically?

...I suck, I'm going to take up the accordion now.
I dunno man, those accordion forums are pretty rough. Some guys are into accordion chops, other guys say you should stick to polkas and then Weird Al is just being... weird.

Yamaha Rider

Lady Antebellum is now Lady A. The Dixie Chicks are now The Chicks. Numerous schools here in the south have changed their names because their "southern leader" names are now racist. Yet they weren't when we had a black president.

As for the Washington Honkeys, that's freaking hilarious. They would become my favorite team. As a white person, honkey is not offensive at all. It's quite comical actually.
Lady A? Dirty girl!

rhumbagirl

Facebook is about collecting "friends." Imagine having 4700 friends and keeping in contact with them. Same with groups. How big can I make the group. I'll stay here thanks.
At least at some level, Facebook is about giving computer-illiterate people, including some of those in the music community, an avenue for creating their own website/webspace. In which case 'friends' are anybody and everybody that sends them a request.

rhumbagirl

I’m also on Reddit, the community there are not there to discuss things, they’re all patting themselves on the back for no reason. Valid criticism leads to downvotes, snarky remarks from onlookers and even a ban. Everyone plays metal exclusively and I wouldn’t be surprised if the median age was below 18.
I just joined Reddit - I joined over a year ago, but just started posting to the r/politics subreddit - and learned I can increase my karma much faster by posting on new topics early on... more people see your posts and so you have more up-votes. My karma increased 10 fold in just a couple of days. But I've spent a lot of time trying to argue with people I don't even know. I suppose this is how I support my favorite political party without having to click their "donate $5" texts I get every day.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
This is not the only drum chat I've tried, but it is the one I come back to.
I've tried other drum forums, & this is the one I kept. All the rest are gone.

I don't think I'll get payed for playing, but I think I'll have fun doing it.
I've learned in my 30+ years of playing that since I'm not playing to eat, if it's not fun, I'm not doing it. The money I do get is nice, but it's all for new gear or just to save.

Drums is a whole new creature for me, but it gets better by the day and I learn a lot here. If I have a question, I will ask.
I'm on this forum for this very reason. I feel no question is stupid on here because we've all "been there" in some form.

As for people "touting off"...I see it more and more each day and it's getting worse. When these people are confronted with it, THEY feel attacked! Imagine that. Seems pretty thin-skinned to me.
I ask what I want & I assure you there's no ill-intent. I'll make amends if things go awry, but if that doesn't take, then all is good on my end.

Yes, this place is not perfect (I'm here, so that's implied) but a lot better than most others. Getting feedback from professionals and engaging in snarky banter while keeping it civilized shows that everyone is on the same page here.
I'd still like to have a better search function and more FAQs / stickies but compared to the cluttered mess that FB is, this place is an encyclopedia.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
At least at some level, Facebook is about giving computer-illiterate people, including some of those in the music community, an avenue for creating their own website/webspace. In which case 'friends' are anybody and everybody that sends them a request.
I get anywhere between 5 and 15 friend requests / week. I reckon I accept maybe 2 or 3 / month. If I don't know them, or have any interaction with them outside of facebook, I just ignore.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I get anywhere between 5 and 15 friend requests / week. I reckon I accept maybe 2 or 3 / month. If I don't know them, or have any interaction with them outside of facebook, I just ignore.
Exactly.
I especially bounce those who weren't my friend when I knew them face to face, yet want to now.

Then I get those who request me, I accept them & they never post, comment or interact. It's like they're in a white van across from my house lurking.
I ain't down with that, so they get bounced.

harryconway

Platinum Member
So just for kicks, a friend invited me to join this "drummer's community" on Facebook.
I don't think I'd ever join a FB group like that. I do belong to a Suzuki Samurai/Tracker/Sidekick group. Great source for info. on those vehicles. (I have a Tracker and a Sidekick).

FB can be a useful tool, I guess. For what I use it for, I'm happy. Several artists that I follow. (drummers, modular synth players, etc.) But I'm only using 0.00001 % of it. ;) I have no interest to wade much deeper into it.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I don't think I'd ever join a FB group like that. I do belong to a Suzuki Samurai/Tracker/Sidekick group. Great source for info. on those vehicles. (I have a Tracker and a Sidekick).

FB can be a useful tool, I guess. For what I use it for, I'm happy. Several artists that I follow. (drummers, modular synth players, etc.) But I'm only using 0.00001 % of it. ;) I have no interest to wade much deeper into it.
I’ve since left that group. Too weird.