Raise the bassdrum or shorten the trigger?

Piebe

I have an 18" kick-drum without a lifter, but i was wondering: wouldn't i achieve the same goal by cutting a few inches off the trigger so it will hit the middle? Or will it be too small to make the kick sound right?

Before i even use the saw to try so, i would like to know if anyone can help me out with some advise.

Assume you mean cutting the beater rod yeah?

You could, but it may kill the feel of the beater for you. By doing so it'll shorten the stroke.....may or may not be a bad thing depending on how it feels to you when its done.

Shortening the beater will not only change the playing feel but most likely take away the punch. Also keep in mind that hitting a drum head in the middle doesn't produce the best sound. I'd try raising the bassdrum and leaving the beater as is.

Do not shorten the beater shaft.
Buy the lifter, install it on the bass drum and set the beater to hit the head about 1 inch high of center.
Gibraltar and Mapex make good lifts that attach to the hoop.
dw makes a real nice one that mounts to the shell of the drum.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks a lot for the advice, i was already a bit afraid it wouldn't be such a good idea to cut the beater. I will purchase a kick drum raiser instead.

When I first got my 18" kick I experiment with shortening the beater (I have a pedal which allows me to adjust beater height without cutting the shaft), though I found the lack of length totally killed the throw of the pedal. It just didn't feel right, so I put the beater back to it's original height. I don't use a lift either, don't think you really need to, the drum sounds fine without one.

When I first got my 18" kick I experiment with shortening the beater (I have a pedal which allows me to adjust beater height without cutting the shaft), though I found the lack of length totally killed the throw of the pedal. It just didn't feel right, so I put the beater back to it's original height. I don't use a lift either, don't think you really need to, the drum sounds fine without one.
Mine sounds fine too the way it is, i am mainly thinking this through because it seems to me the head gets ruined quicker without a lift. Isn't this the issue?

Mine sounds fine too the way it is, i am mainly thinking this through because it seems to me the head gets ruined quicker without a lift. Isn't this the issue?

Can't see any reason for that to happen just because you hit it off centre.

If you're breaking kick drum heads, look at the way your beater hits the head (does it hit with an edge or corner first), or put a kick drum patch where the beater hits the head.

I'm glad to say i haven't yet broken a head, i was just wondering if hitting it off center would do so.

Now i know i don't need a lifter at all, because i prefer the way my kit looks without and it sounds fine.

I have both 22" and 20" bass drums and I always set up my beaters to hit about an inch or two above dead center. It won't hurt the drum head. Just use some kind of a patch where the beater meets the head. I just use the thin clear patches that come with Evans heads.

Dennis

Just use some kind of a patch where the beater meets the head. I just use the thin clear patches that come with Evans heads.

Dennis
That is indeed a good tip Dennis, unfortunately those patches don't come with mine so i will have to be creative. Will just some sort of a round sticker do? Pardon all my questions, I am kind of a noob, since this is my first acoustic set.

Just got a riser for my 18" bass drum a week ago. The beater now has a perfect length, and I CAN play louder without any extra effort, which is a good thing. A riser isn't expensive either. Go for it.

(sorry for trying your opinion, but whatever)

That is indeed a good tip Dennis, unfortunately those patches don't come with mine so i will have to be creative. Will just some sort of a round sticker do? Pardon all my questions, I am kind of a noob, since this is my first acoustic set.

Most drum stores sell them, and they're only a few dollars/pounds/euros or whatever. They even make them out of different materials so you can tailor the sound more. I'm partial to a Remo Falam Slam on my EMad as it gives a nice click. That's a really beefy pad though, and if you're playing something softer, you might want a thinner patch. Any ooh drum store will be able to advise for your needs.

For the record, I find using a patch makes my kick heads last so much longer. I usually go through a kick head in about 6-9 months (circa 100 gigs and 50+ rehearsals plus practice, sessions and teaching) whereas without one it's more like 2-3 months.

Go to the drugstore or Walmart and in the shoe insole section you will find Moleskin and Molefoam pads (around 3" x 4", different material, different thickness). Experiment with them: cut to your favorite size or layer them. They are cheap and removable. I also attach them to my bass drum rims where they touch the floor and bass drum pedal clamp.

I've been doing the same thing for years.I have tried other stuff,but good old Dr Scholls works the best,and its cheaper.:)

Steve B

Back